We are looking for a GIS and Database Admin (GDBA) who has a passion for data and data technologies to join our Connecticut Transportation Safety Research Center (CTSRC). Under the direction of the Director, you will apply expertise and knowledge of spatial and relational datasets to assist in the analysis of the transportation network. This position is critical to the successful analysis of motor vehicle crash data in Connecticut and reducing fatalities on Connecticut roadways. Typical responsibilities require you to research, develop, and maintain custom databases that will allow for web-based safety analysis. You will be able to work as part of a diverse engineering and software development team to create a custom software solution for the state of Connecticut.
Connecticut Transportation Safety Research Center
The mission of the Connecticut Transportation Safety Research Center (CTSRC) is to support the Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) in developing and maintaining a state-of-the-art crash data entry, collection, and safety analysis system. The goals of the center include:
- develop efficient tools for the collection and analysis of crash data
track, document and research safety improvements and needs in the state
research and develop outreach programs to target Connecticut specific/identified safety concerns
- develop custom training and early intervention programs to assist law enforcement in collecting uniform, timely and complete crash data
- conduct transportation safety research that has state, national and global implications and applications
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with the development team and functional requirements documentation to design, test, and implement databases to support an Agile application development process.
- Coordinates changes and updates to development databases with internal and external team members.
- Creates and compiles documentation on current projects.
- Analyzes current development and production databases and makes recommendations regarding structure, security, and performance.
- Monitors performance on existing databases, servers, and ETL processes, identifying and fixing issues as they arise.
- Interfaces with University IT Support regarding the management of existing and new IT infrastructure.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Geography, or related discipline. Equivalent specialized training and experience will also be considered.
- Evidence of ability to independently analyze and translate assigned programs into operating programs and prepare detailed program documentation.
- Demonstrated ability in analytical reasoning and logical problem solving.
- Thorough knowledge of programming language/software packages used in administrative data processing, web based development and user interfaces.
- Thorough knowledge of SQL databases, relational databases and database design.
- Basic knowledge of desktop applications, such as word processor and spreadsheets as well as web pages, Internet navigation, and HTML.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- An advanced degree or study in Computer Science, or related discipline with 1 to 3 years of Post degree experience.
- Experience with Agile software development processes and JIRA.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.