JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for evaluating, developing, and maintaining accurate and up-to-date county ownership plats, acreage for each parcel of land, and addressing questions concerning ownership.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Updates maps as new data are received regarding new subdivisions, developments, capital improvement projects, zoning requirements, and other projects.
- Performs data input, data analysis, and map production within Geographic Information System (GIS) software; creates forms and formats for reporting database inventories.
- Processes various types of deeds and records the data in the Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal (CAMA) system.
- Performs a variety of duties involved in the operation of the Assessor’s Office, including map and file maintenance, records research, and processing property conveyances, land vacations, and agricultural land classifications.
- Compiles and prepares data on property ownership land transfers, parcel splits, and parcel combinations for entry into departmental records.
- Prepares ownership information for entry into an automated data processing system; assigns a parcel identification number to land parcels, identifies tax district codes, ownership identifying data, and land classification/usage.
- Prepares parcel maps to accurately represent all land parcels, subdivisions, and tax districts.
- Enters plats to cadastral maps, determine ownership for tax assessment purposes, and maintains the integrity of the GIS parcel layer.
- Computes land parcel areas using mathematical functions.
- Determines insufficiencies with legal descriptions and surveys; notifies the proper entity of any deficiencies.
- Transcribes legal descriptions, field data, and subdivision plats to tax assessment maps.
- Conducts research to determine ownership for tax assessment purposes.
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs other related duties as required.
PERSONNEL SUPERVISED: None
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in a smoking-restricted office environment.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Some knowledge of state and local laws, policies, and principles governing the assessment of real property for taxation purposes.
- Good knowledge of real property records and deeds.
- Good knowledge of the methods and techniques of mapping and drafting.
- Good knowledge of basic geometric mathematics.
- Ability to read and interpret ordinances governing annexations and street closings.
- Ability to maintain a detailed record-keeping system.
- Ability to read, interpret, and plot legal descriptions.
- Skill in the operation of a computer.
- Digital dexterity is necessary for the use of drafting tools and operation of the computer keyboard, mouse, and any other required equipment for the compilation of mapping information.
- Visual acuity is needed for use of the computer screen and to interpret maps and legal documents.
- Ability to lift and carry loads up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally in person and by telephone.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Completion of high school or equivalency including training in Drafting, Mapping, GIS, or a related field; some experience working in mapping, drafting, GIS, or related area; or in any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.