Maintain and support the Geographic Information System (GIS) database for a variety of land use projects and environmental purposes. This position, under general supervision, is responsible for collecting, editing, modifying and verifying data from recorded instruments such as deeds, recorded maps, right-of-way maps, condominium declarations, annexations and other instruments, for the purpose of depicting property accurately, according to NC State General Statutes.
- Maintain and update addresses in the City/County GIS centerline file/GIS system and in the
- Master Address table in support of permitting, police, fire, and MEDIC emergency response, in compliance with the Mecklenburg County addressing ordinances
- Assign addresses for new single-family subdivisions, apartment complexes, condominiums, townhomes, office parks, shopping centers, and other non-structural uses
- Generate statistics and reports using math and analytical skills for various customer needs
- Update, correct, and maintain GIS system(s), which may include: creating and annotating plats; reviewing information for accuracy prior to updating the GIS system; interpreting, preparing, and drawing legal descriptions; adding new information; defining and creating boundaries; and, assigning and entering numbers
- Create a variety of hard copy products, which may include: maps; scale drawings; atlas sheets; mailing labels; statistical reports; exhibits; and/or, a variety of other related documentation
- Compile and analyze geographic data
- Conduct research on legal descriptions, property ownership, County standards and specifications, and/or other related information
- Provide technical assistance and/or training on hardware and software problems
No previous experience required.
Associate's degree in Geography, Cartography, Surveying, or Computer Science.
Combination of relevant education and relevant experience accepted?: Yes
Licenses and Certifications
- Requires a valid North Carolina or South Carolina Driver's License
- Requires County Driving Privileges
- Annual Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) check may be required
Some experience working with surveys, recorded maps, plats etc. Knowledge of addressing procedures for existing and new development.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Customer service principles
- Mechanical and digital drafting techniques
- GIS systems
- Providing customer service
- Troubleshooting problems
- Reading and interpreting legal documents
- Using computers and related software applications
- Handling multiple tasks simultaneously
- Reading, producing, and interpreting maps
- Achieves Goals: Works tenaciously to overcome obstacles and to meet or exceed goals; derives satisfaction from achieving “stretch” goals
- Continuous Improvement: Originating action to improve existing conditions and processes; identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas and implementing solutions
- Engagement Readiness: Demonstrating a willingness to commit to one’s work and to invest one’s time, talent, and best efforts in accomplishing organizational goals
- Planning and Organization: Establishing courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently
- Information Monitoring: Setting up ongoing procedures to collect and review information needed to manage an organization or ongoing activities within it
- Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills: Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise
Proficient in various computer applications including Microsoft Office Suite
Works in an office setting with moderate noise
This classification has been identified as having a role in the development of ADA compliant technologies and for which the incumbent agrees to follow County policies to the best of their abilities in order to meet these obligations. Yes
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, requirements or working conditions. Other duties may be assigned based on business need and the supervisor’s request. Mecklenburg County reserves the right to revise the job description at any time. Designated positions may be required to assist in emergency and/or disaster situations.
Mecklenburg County requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new Mecklenburg County employees.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.