Fisher Associates, P.E., L.S., L.A., D.P.C. is a consulting engineering and professional services firm serving the Transportation, Land Development and Energy market sectors. Our comprehensive services include planning, engineering, environmental, survey, GIS and construction representation.
Fisher Associates continues to consistently meet the demands of our state, municipal, and private industry clients across the country. Our Clientship Philosophy ™ means responsiveness and accountability. We think with the end in mind to assist our clients to realize their goals.
Fisher Associates, P.E., L.S., L.A., D.P.C., headquartered in Rochester NY, with five offices throughout NY and PA, is searching for a GIS Technician to join our team in the Buffalo, NY office. The ideal candidate will have some GIS background that has the desire and ability to work with the detailed issues associated with a project. The GIS Technician will be expected to perform a broad variety of GIS related tasks on a project. We offer a flexible, family-oriented and fun work environment, an outstanding culture of teamwork and respect, and the ability to grow. Our firm is growing and we are looking for a strong candidate with the following qualities:
- GIS data manipulation, automation, conversion, and migration
- Integrate geospatial data from multiple formats and sources
- Read and understand engineering sketches, drawings and documents
- Perform routine tasks based on input and direction from the project team. These tasks may include but not limited to field activities, investigations and creating layouts.
- Interface with clients in person, via telephone or e-mail to remain current with the client’s current schedule. Must be responsive to the client’s need for data collection, document review, data automation and data delivery.
- Consult with client staff to resolve conflicting and/or missing information.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Work independently for long stretches of time and maintain productivity
- Attention to detail while following best practices.
- General QA/QC procedures with a high attention to detail.
- Perform self-checks on all work at each step to ensure no missing or erroneous data exists.
- Periodically collect GPS information on Pipeline facilities.
- Ability/willingness to travel up to 2 days a week and work on the road.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Minimum Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Geography, Computer Science, or other degree with extensive GIS course work required.
- Excellent reading, writing and communication skills required.
- Ability to creatively look for and suggest new and innovative ways to better service the needs of the client.
- Ability to run and/or modify Python scripts used in the processing of geospatial data preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Word and Excel
- File management skills expected
- Strong desire to learn by asking questions
- Ability to communicate technical GIS information to non-technical personnel
- Environmental GIS experience beneficial
- 2 years of experience with Mobile Data Collection applications; ESRI ArcGIS Collector, Survey 123 preferred.
- Prior experience collecting GPS data in the field preferred.
- General working knowledge and understanding of field survey procedures and processes preferred.
- Comfortable working outdoors, in the field, in potentially inclement weather and remote areas.
- Capable of traveling on foot over rough terrain for up to 2 miles while carrying up to 20 pounds of equipment.
- Oil and Gas Pipeline experience preferred.
Fisher Associates does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, ancestry, age, employment status, disability or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local laws. AA/EOE
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.