Under direct supervision, performs entry-level technical work by creating, updating and maintaining digital basemaps for the county including informational layers and topographical maps.
Essential Functions: (Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by incumbents of this class.)
- Maintains; edits and creates informational map layers; maintains, updates and creates digital basemap of county; updates map features through electronic digitization; integrates new data sets into the system; collects data and enters into computer databases; creates various plots and data sets for users; provides spatial analysis of data sets; assists in the development and management of automated map libraries and data dictionaries; assists in developing analytical procedures and custom command menus.
- Checks topographic and other maps created by outside contractors and agency staff; trains on software to demonstrate and provide technical support; schedules and meets with utility agency contacts; creates and copies data on CD's; assists in the sale of maps; assists other offices in creating and plotting maps; updates information related to voting districts, tax maps, and conditions of bridges and streams, other data. Review subdivision plats; assign addresses for property.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Geographic Information System (GIS) methods, practices and applications.
- Knowledge of basic mapping principles.
- Knowledge of computer hardware, software and peripherals specific to GIS applications.
- Knowledge of ArcView 3.x, ArcGIS
- Knowledge of electronic digitization methods and practices.
- Knowledge of development and management of automated map libraries.
- Knowledge of analytical and research procedures.
- Knowledge of public relations/customer service practices.
- Skill utilizing a variety of computer software and peripherals to develop basemaps, map layers and topographical maps.
- Skill utilizing verbal and written communication skills to develop and provide technical assistance and training related to GIS and related software.
- Skill creating and copying data onto CD's
- Skill assisting in the development and management of automated map libraries.
- Skill utilizing customer service techniques when responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Skill establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Skill effectively communicating in both oral and written form.
The equivalent of a Bachelor of Science degree in computer graphics, including GIS coursework and basic mapping principles, and one (1) year experience in GIS mapping or related projects.
Physical Requirements: Work requires concentration on detail and working with computer keyboards for extended periods of time.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Hamilton County does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services. A copy of Hamilton County's Equal Employment Opportunity Plan (EEOP) Utilization Report is available on www.HamiltonTN.gov/HumanResources.
**This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
"Any overtime hours offered in this position are not guaranteed, but are an estimate subject to change."
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.