The City of Sandy Springs is currently accepting applications for a GIS Technician. Qualified applicants will have knowledge of GIS principles as well as practical experience with Esri ArcGIS. The person in this position may be required to collect data in the field and in the office, make online and hardcopy maps, edit existing datasets and provide GIS support to other departments.
The GIS Technician will work under the supervision of the GIS Manager and with the GIS Analyst. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Applicants are preferred to have a Bachelor’s degree or Certificate in Geography, GIS or related field. The successful candidate will have a drive to learn new skills and technologies while providing excellent support to staff and citizens.
- Experience with Esri ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop
- Knowledge of GIS principles, including projection, editing, cartography, geodatabases, queries
- Ability to work well with GIS staff as well as other departments
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions, prioritize tasks and communicate progress
- Ability to meet project deadlines, some of which have short turnaround requirements
- Desire to continue learning new technologies
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and produce high quality cartographic products for a variety of city departments such as Public Works, Community Development, Fire Department, and Emergency Management
- Perform data editing in an enterprise versioned environment. Datasets include addresses, roads, stormwater infrastructure and city assets
- Digitize mapping information from a variety of sources and verify digitized data for accuracy.
- Interpret detailed plans, photographs, maps, and legal descriptions
- Assist with development and maintenance of GIS data resources to be utilized for public access
- Assist in maintaining web based products including ArcGIS Online content such as web maps and web applications
- Perform spatial analyses and create information products using GIS geoprocessing tools
- Perform GIS data conversion
- Provide GIS staffing support in the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergency activations such as severe weather which may include irregular hours. Training, supervision and standard operating procedures will be provided.
This is a full-time position. The GIS Technician is expected to work on-site Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm. Additional hours may be required to support Emergency Operations and periodic maintenance.
This is an hourly position at $21.63 per hour.
The City of Sandy Springs offers a range of benefits, including but not limited to retirement, medical and dental.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.