Sargent & Lundy provides comprehensive consulting, engineering, design, and analysis for electric power generation and power delivery projects worldwide. With a highly experienced staff solely dedicated to the energy business, we have the ability and know-how to take on the smallest tasks as well as the largest projects.
Due to continued growth, our Electric Grid Infrastructure Services Group is seeking a GIS Technician to join their team in Chicago, IL.
- Assist in the development of geographic information to produce maps or quantify information about the impacts of features related to linear engineering projects
- Create or edit map labels, annotation, symbology, representations, and legends
- Conduct data research and compile spatial data
- Manage online GIS data and help develop strategies for collecting GIS data in the field.
- Evaluate information and data from outside sources and convert data to be used in conjunction with preparing maps
- Incorporate spatial and non-spatial data from a broad range of sources (e.g. Access databases,
- Excel spreadsheets, or AutoCAD/Microstation drawings)
- Use extensions such as 3D Analyst and Spatial Analyst to perform complex geoprocessing tasks
- Provide quality assurance for geospatial data and maps
- Assist in preparing exhibits and compiling information for proposals, project status reports and schedules
- Maintain intra-office communications to share data, procedures, efficiencies, and problem-solving
- Create, edit, and inventory GIS metadata
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience:
- BA/BS in Environmental Engineering/Science, Geography, GIS, Geology, Landscape Architecture, computer science or other relevant field
- Basic knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS Pro
- Solid understanding of cartographic principles
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Strong attention to detail; ability to perform duties with a high level of accuracy
- Strong personal computing skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with internal clients, group members, management and external clients
Valued, but not required experience:
- Basic understanding of power delivery engineering processes such as transmission line siting
- Prior experience working in a production environment, meeting established production and accuracy goals, with the ability to maintain focus on quality of details.
- The ability to read engineering plans
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python or C++
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Microstation or Globalmapper
- Ability to create 3D renderings
Sargent & Lundy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Sargent & Lundy offers equal employment opportunity without regard to race, gender, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military status, or any other basis protected by applicable Federal, State or Local Fair Employment Law. EOE-M/F/D/V
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.