Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to maintain and update maps, records and associated data for the County GIS System. Employees in this classification perform administrative and technical support work. Duties also include assisting with special GIS projects. Performs related work as directed.
This position is essential. Personnel occupying this position may be scheduled to work regardless of weather conditional and/ or when general county offices are closed.
Special Duties & Responsibilities:
• Updates, maintains, and corrects digital tax maps and the GIS System using advanced Mapping/GIS program.
• Assigns new tax map numbers; amends existing records for changes; adds new subdivisions to master tax maps and makes revisions; reviews subdivision plats for accuracy and completeness of required geographic information.
• Processes survey plats to digital form for inclusion to GIS; analyzes source data and resolves conflicting geographic data.
• Maintains computerized E-911 Mapping System; updates and verifies address records; assigns new streets/addresses; provides address information to other departments/agencies; updates mapping data files.
• Maintains and updates E-911 mapping data; reviews E-911 update sheets and makes appropriate additions and corrections; reviews records of all E-911 calls and tests telephone company E-911 database to ensure accuracy; updates mapping data files; maintains address records.
• Assigns house/building address numbers and street ranges; receives requests from residents for road names; evaluates availability and appropriateness of proposed street names through review of subdivision plats, database records, and established policy; submits recommendations for road names to Board for review/approval.
• Provides updated street/range information to various county departments and other agencies.
• Assists surveyors with research on plats, owner information, etc.; assists in the maintenance of the County's EAGLE system.
• Obtains digital data from surveyors and amends for inclusion to GIS; updates streets and street names on tax maps and digital files; maintains plat files.
• Assists in use of GIS for large scale inquiries and projects; designs and executes queries of multiple databases; prepares specialized maps
• Researches records in the Clerk of the Circuit Court's office to determine property lines and owners; provides assistance to lawyers, law enforcement officials, and the general public.
• Serves as the single point of contact/control to ensure parcel changes/splits/subdivisions have met all regulatory reviews and controls.
• Assists with development of protocols and procedures for maintenance and expansion of maps and databases.
• Prepares or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, MSAG listing, road name requests, or other documents.
• Receives various forms, reports, correspondence, E-911 update sheets, road name requests, subdivision plats, tax maps, voting district maps, real estate records, software user guides, manuals, reference materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, processes, forwards or retains as appropriate.
• Operates a computer to enter, retrieve, review or modify data; verifies accuracy of entered data and makes corrections; utilizes word processing, spreadsheet, desktop publishing, computerized mapping, geographical information system (GIS), website design, or other programs; performs basic maintenance of computer system and office equipment, such as backing up data or replacing paper, ink, or toner.
• Communicates with supervisor, employees, other departments, county officials, the public, outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
• Maintains an awareness of new technologies, methods, trends and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; attends workshops and training sessions as appropriate.
• Produces copies of maps and creates custom maps for the public, County departments, and other agencies.
• Assists in creating and maintaining departmental web site.
• Completes Planning Department Plat & Plan application reviews and participate in Technical Review Committee meetings.
• Coordinates and manages smaller projects involving GIS system infrastructure and or integration throughout the County and department.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Training & Experience:
Associate's Degree with course work emphasis in Geography or Computer Applications; supplemented by three (3) to five (5) years previous experience and/or training in data entry, CAD and GIS, and mapping; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Salary: $39,458.00 (DOQ)
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.