The City of Salem is looking for a GIS Technician in the Technical Services and Flow Monitoring Workgroup of the Public Works Department. This position will primarily work on collecting and maintaining utility, transportation, and boundary datasets for Public Works and producing maps and online apps. This position will read, interpret, and transfer data from engineering drawings into GIS and also integrate GIS data with other systems. The position will work in a team environment that supports the Public Works Department, other City Departments and public needs.
- Perform routine GIS data maintenance input, update or maintain GIS data and verify data integrity. View and edit data using cartographic techniques to represent spatial data. Enter, update, and maintain data layers and relational databases using GIS application tools.
- Perform simple spatial analysis and database queries. Develop and maintain data layers and spatial data structures.
- Use GIS software programs to modify and update data, and to compose map, illustrations and other graphic representation products.
- Code and digitize geographic data features. Proof and review maps for completeness and adherence to standards. Operate large format plotter to produce hardcopy map products.
- Convert existing drawings and source data from various formats for integration into the GIS system.
- Research various records to maintain current, accurate digital maps and databases. Find and compile source information for mapping, and visit field locations to collect or verify data.
What are the minimum qualifications?
- Must pass the pre-employment background check.
- Must have an Oregon Driver's license and have a driving record that meets the City of Salem's driving standards.
- Bachelor's degree in geography, computer technologies, engineering, GIS or a related field;
and one year experience using GIS software applications; or any combination of experience and training that demonstrate possession of the knowledge, skill and abilities as listed, and ability to perform the essential job functions.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.