As a GIS Technician, you will provide GIS services, support and training to business areas, projects, users and staff by assisting with the delivery, management and use of GIS data, tools, applications and other GIS services. This position conducts GIS programming and documentation tasks related to GIS application and data development, spatial analysis, database management and map production activities. Much of the work this position will provide will be focused on Next Generation 9-1-1 geospatial activities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Following pertinent standards, create and maintain geospatial data, metadata, tools, applications, and web services as needed to support business functions and projects
- Perform spatial analysis to assist business areas in understanding relationships in their data
- Conduct QA/QC tasks and reviews necessary to support the delivery of high quality GIS data, applications and services
- Assist with the development and maintenance of GIS web services and other web functionality
- Provide GIS technical support and training to business areas, projects, users and staff
- Diagnose and solve user issues with modern GIS software, data, and services
- Prepare data and procedures for testing existing and new MnGeo data, services and applications
*This is a full-time limited duration position with an anticipated end date of August 2020.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate all of the following qualifications in their resume.
Position requires a minimum of two (2) years of professional work experience in an IT related field that includes:
- Experience with Esri GIS Software, including ArcGIS 10.x
- Basic programming experience
- Experience with ArcGIS Model Builder
- Familiarity with web publishing
- Experience with markup and schema languages such as HTML and XML
- Familiarity with geographic terminology, coordinate systems, map projections, map-based analysis, and principles of cartography
- Knowledge and experience with geocoding and spatial analysis
- A Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or related substitutes for two years of experience, OR a related Associate's substitutes for one year.
**Successful candidate must pass past-employer reference checks and a criminal history verification**
It is the policy of the Minnesota IT Services that all employees submit to a background investigation prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
- SEMA4 Records Check (applies to current and past state employees only)
- Criminal History Check
- Employment Reference Check
- Social Security and Address Verification
- Education Verification
**Minnesota IT Services will not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US**
- Higher education coursework in Geography, GIS, and related science (ex: Geology, Hydrology, and Soils)
- Strong working knowledge and experience with geocoding and spatial analysis
- Basic familiarity with concepts of statistical significance
- Effective communication skills
- Knowledge and experience with 9-1-1 call centers, including police/fire/EMS dispatch and emergency response operations.
- Understanding of Next Generation 9-1-1 (NG9-1-1) terminology, concepts, and standards, especially as it relates to the use of GIS in NG9-1-1.
- Experience maintaining GIS data for a 9-1-1 center or closely related public safety entity.
- Knowledge of address standards (FGDC, NENA, etc.), geocoding, and verification techniques.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.