MP&W is seeking a GIS Professional to provide mapping, GIS and CAD services for the A/O Center, GPS services, and GPS database design and maintenance in support of daily operations and on-going transmission and distribution, water, technical services, generation, and telecommunication projects.
This position has a level I and a level II grading based on experience and demonstrated abilities. Tasks are performed at each level based on the individual’s knowledge and experience.
- Design, , and update utility mapping and mapping databases in GIS software.This includes:
- Perform database administrative functions, ensuring data is accurate across all platforms, and the interaction with other business systems is appropriate and secure.
- Coordinate GIS data conversion and mapping activities.
- Develop and create GIS layers/data elements consistent with existing standards.
- Interpret plans, photographs, maps, and legal descriptions for creation of GIS data.
- Resolve user problems in the operation of GIS devices or uses of software; analyze causes of problems; serve as a technical point of contact and help train non-GIS staff on basic GIS skills.
- GIS/CAD Technician II will assist with implementation of GIS software upgrades and functionality improvements, identify the need for hardware and software upgrades based on changing technology, Utility goals and objectives, and user requirements.
- Maintain and AutoCAD, including Civil 3D, and manual engineering and facilities drawing files, indices, and drawing tracking for all A/O Center drawings and specific power plant and landfill drawings.
- Provide support services to maintain engineering construction standards.
- Assist other MP&W personnel in gathering data for development of civil, environmental, structural, electrical, water, or fiber optic AutoCAD drawings.
- Evaluate and implement modifications to the AutoCAD system; such as software upgrades, custom tools, and troubleshooting.
- Maintain adequate stocks of drafting supplies (copier and plotter paper and toner).
- Provide services including office-to-field and field-to-office data transfer, GPS data processing, and GPS data gathering.
- Train other users to gather GPS data; provide troubleshooting as needed.
- Maintain the quality control and management of data using GPS software.
- Evaluate and implement modifications to the GPS equipment and software.
- Develop, update, and maintain CAD and GPS standards and procedures, ensuring compliance with existing Utility standards.
- Provide or obtain software support to maintain continuity and integrity of GIS, CAD, and GPS programs including the development of customized applications.
- Support project management and documentation by providing field inspection and as-built logging services.
- GIS/CAD Technician II will a
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in a technical field or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- GIS/CAD Technician I is an entry-level position.GIS/CAD Technician II is a minimum 3 years of experience in GIS project management, development, and implementation, including utility infrastructure.
- Strong working knowledge of CAD techniques and associated reproduction and retention technologies.Database design and information retrieval experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of GIS and GPS software and operations.Geospatial understanding desired.
- Familiarity with GIS, CAD, and GPS software terminology, engineering terms, and proper use of materials, reference books and catalogs preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with GPS equipment and software operations, including Geospatial; demonstrated proficiency in Esri ArcGIS preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills, with ability to build productive professional relationships and promote a team atmosphere.
- Proficiency with use of CAD, GIS, and GPS software.
- Proficiency with use of Microsoft Office Word and Excel at an intermediate level.
- Good judgment and reasoning skills.
- Problem identification, analysis, and solving.
- Project management skills desired.
- GIS/CAD Technician II will be able to demonstrate:
- Proficiency with Microsoft SQL Server, industry-standard database management system (DBMS) software, and Microsoft Access preferred.
- Proficiency with Python, VBA.NET, C#, Model Builder, ArcObjects, or other GIS programming preferred.
- Ability to work as part of a team, either as team leader or a member of a team.
- Ability to drive results and ensure work is accomplished properly, safely, and in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently, effectively prioritize work, manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and adjust work priorities as needed to meet department/organizational objectives.
- Ability to develop, read, and interpret drawings, schematics, specifications, and technical manuals.
- Ability to distinguish colors.
Other Position Requirements
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to attend work on a regular basis and work overtime as needed.
- Must maintain a method of communication in order to be contacted by MP&W outside normal work hours.
- Work environment is primarily in an office environment.Occasional visits to an industrial coal-fired power plant or outside job sites may be required.Fieldwork is completed in all weather conditions.
- Must comply with all safety and site rules at all locations.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.