This posting will be used to fill a full-time, permanent, GIS Technician II within the Department of Public Works of Anne Arundel County Government. This is technical work involving customer service, CAD Drafting and Geographic Information Systems in the Technical Engineering section of the Department of Public Works.
NATURE AND VARIETY OF WORK
Under general supervision, an employee in this class performs traditional and computer aided drafting (CAD) techniques, and/or Geographical Information System (GIS) software to perform the full range of technical work involving production of maps, charts and related materials. Work involves conferring with County staff to determine the nature of the assignment; collecting data and information needed to prepare maps and other materials; producing maps, charts, and other graphics; and/or digitizing and entering geographic and related data into base map databases. An employee in this class determines information needed and methods to be used, and applies a variety of techniques to complete assignments. CAD/GIS Technicians II may specialize in the tools they use to generate maps, such as CAD and graphics or GIS, or may use a combination of tools.
Examples of Duties and Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(Note: The duties and responsibilities enumerated in this class specification are for the purpose of determining a common set of minimum qualifications and salary level for all positions in this class. They are not intended to include all of the essential functions of all positions in the class.)
- Uses AutoCAD, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS, and other County and State web applications the employee performs customer service by telephone and customer facing counter.
- Assists walk-in customers by receiving, logging and delivery of maps and technical drawings, critical area and zoning verifications, utility, right of way, easement location questions, researching utility as-built drawings and property deeds.
- Uses available County and State databases this position will perform right of way, easement, and property research to County employees and the general public.
- Assists in the creation of digital maps for County infrastructure including water, sewer, storm drain and stormwater management systems.
- Assists in the creation and maintenance of easements and right of way data using COGO techniques.
- Works within teams on mapping project requests with various agencies in and outside Anne Arundel County Government.
- Communicates with supervisor and fellow employees regarding problems, concerns and day-to-day operational matters.
- Responds to user requests for technical assistance if needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the principles and methods of GIS, cartography and map maintenance and quality control.
- Knowledge of digital drafting techniques and software.
- Knowledge of aerial photograph interpretation, cartography, local area network use, accession of map data and associated metadata files.
- Skills in digitizing and other forms of data input for use with a GIS.
- Ability to apply GIS technology to perform a variety of environmental and parcel-based analyses and to perform problem-solving related to using a GIS to complete requested tasks.
- Ability to communicate effectively about complex technical concepts and information.
- Ability to read and interpret utility engineering drawings and general mapping.
Graduation from high school with courses in drafting, geography, or mathematics; or college-level courses in geography, cartography, planning, engineering, or computer science, or related disciplines; one (1) or more years of experience in GIS application software, automated drafting techniques, equipment plotting, digitizing, and data input; two (2) or more years of work experience in AutoCAD, GIS or closely related work; and a valid non-commercial Class C motor vehicle operator's license.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- Experience with the following GIS tasks: Data Management, Data Capture (heads-up digitizing), Data Editing (spatial and attribute), Querying, Projections, and Map Creation.
- Experience using ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS software (including ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox) and ArcGIS Geodatabases (ArcSDE,File, Personal) as well as ArcGIS geoprocessing & automation (Model Builder, Python).
- Experience reading, interpreting and creating property deeds and subdivision plats.
- Experience reading and interpreting utility infrastructure drawings and maps.
- Experience with relational database management systems (Access, SQL, Oracle).
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office/Google Drive (Excel, Access, Word & Power Point and/or Google Sheets/Docs/Slides).
- Experience interacting with customer facing work environments.
- Experience using COGO techniques in creating right of way, easement, and property GIS data.
- Experience using Autodesk Map 3D or Civil 3D software.
- Produces easement boundaries from Deeds/Plats. Performs QA/QC on Easement boundaries.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.