Performs sub-professional database maintenance and system analysis for the development and maintenance of WSSC’s Geographic Information System (GIS). This includes the use of automated mapping products and training, supervision, coordination and quality control of others in the operation and use of the GIS hardware and software applications.
• Digitizes map information for automated mapping systems using ARC/INFO system; Stores digitized information in computer files;
• Edits digitized information and enters water/sewer models into the GIS database;
• Ensures the quality of data entering the system;
• Edits and performs maintenance on water/sewer models;
• Trains designated personnel in the operation and use of the GIS hardware and software applications;
• Evaluates new GIS hardware and software packages;
• Provides technical assistance to section personnel;
• Writes instructional macros using ARC/INFO;
• Maintains progress log for project documentation and monthly reports;
• Verifies accurate conversion of map check plots and digital reference products;
• Reviews as-builts and valve cards for errors and updating.
• Creates water zone, sewer basin and mini basins workspaces for Web Map utilizing ARC/INFO.
• Maintains the “FileNet” database for Web Map, including scanning, data entry and quality control of water and sewer contracts and 200’ sheets.
• Addresses known data inconsistencies and Webmap comments
• Coordinates with survey personnel to acquire missing field data and/or resolve inconsistencies
• Supervises and coordinates work of GIS Technician I staff and GIS mapping contract employees;
Performs related duties as required.
Work Environment And Physical Demands
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
Minimum Education, Experience Requirements
Associates degree in cartography, computer science, engineering or related field and five years of sub-professional engineering work in drafting (conventional mapping techniques), GIS, and automated mapping techniques, including three years of experience as a GIS Technician I.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.