Performs data maintenance and system analysis to support WSSC’s Geographic Information System (GIS). Plans, organizes, and coordinates the source material and data needed to perform graphic and tabular edits to the GIS datasets. Must possess thorough competency of GIS desktop products. Will also require training, supervision, coordination and quality control of others in the operation and use of the GIS hardware and software applications.
• Digitizes map information for automated mapping systems using ArcGIS application; Stores digitized information in geodatabases;
• Edits digitized information and enters water/sewer models into the GIS database;
• Ensures the quality of data in the system;
• Edits and performs maintenance on water/sewer models;
• Trains designated personnel in the operation and use of the GIS hardware and software applications;
• Evaluates new GIS hardware and software packages;
• Provides technical assistance to section personnel;
• Writes instructional macros using ArcGIS;
• Maintains progress log for project documentation and monthly reports;
• Verifies accurate conversion of map check plots and digital reference products;
• Reviews engineering records for errors and updating;
• Maintains the document management database for internet mapping, including scanning, data entry and quality control of water and sewer engineering record documents.
• Addresses known data inconsistencies as reported by the users of the data;
• Coordinates with land surveys to acquire missing field data and/or resolve inconsistencies;
• Supervises and coordinates work of GIS Technician I staff and GIS mapping contract employees.
Performs related duties as required.
Work Environment And Physical Demands
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of industry standard cartographic and engineering records, including drafting symbol standards;
• Knowledge of GIS, ArcGIS, AutoCad, Document Management System, VB-Visual Basic, Cartographic Modeling, and Spatial analysis;
• Strong working knowledge and user proficiency in the use of the ESRI ArcGIS software package;
• Ability to instruct others in the use of GIS hardware and software and the design and operation of related processes;
• Ability to use PC software including Word, Excel and Access;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
• Good oral and written communication skills.
Minimum Education, Experience Requirements
• Associate’s degree in cartography, computer science, engineering or related discipline and 5 years of sub-professional engineering work in drafting (conventional mapping techniques), GIS, and automated mapping techniques, including 3 years of experience as a GIS Technician I;
- OR -
• High School diploma or equivalent and 8 years of sub-professional engineering work in drafting (conventional mapping techniques) and GIS, including 1 year of experience in the use of automated mapping techniques;
• Possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to obtain a WSSC Driver’s Permit.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.