GIS Technicians are expected to have basic level knowledge of GIS programs, spatial and cartographic understanding, and GIS software skills. This is an entry level technical support position, working with Designers, Engineers, GIS Management, and other support staff. The incumbent will perform cartographic displays (ESRI Suite, Autodesk, and other software programs) which support engineering and construction detailed drawings of electrical assets within a production level team environment. Additionally, the incumbent will assist in tracking project status by using web-based mapping tools (ESRI’s ArcGIS Online). This position requires job dedication, team, and individual interactions with driven processes, including QA/QC, and distinct deadlines in order to provide quality to client requested products and services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare drawings using ESRI’s ArcMap/ArcGIS, AutoCAD, Microstation, or other integrated electronic drawing packages as required
- Assist in creating web-based mapping tools (ESRI ArcGIS Online) webapps, webmaps, and dashboards to assist the client and internal use
- Fully proficient with the placement and maintenance of graphical features in client GIS systems such as ArcFM, Intergraph FRAMME, Small World, or G-Tech.
- Develop a working knowledge of client construction standards and utility information systems.
- Develop and maintain drawing standards (fonts, line weights, border sheets, naming conventions, etc.) for use in the company produced drawings.
- Documentation and report preparations with Microsoft and other industry specific programs such as MS Word, MS Excel, Microsoft Access Database, Fulcrum, Nitro Pro, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Assist with implementing and managing field data collection tools and tasks, including the use of GPS devices and execution of post-processing.
- Support the maintenance and operation of client’s mapping and GIS applications by maintaining, reporting, and posting work or by gathering data to be inputted by others.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
COMPLEXITY OF WORK:
Generally routine, established precedents; practices and procedures exist.
RELATIONSHIP OUTSIDE WORK GROUP:
Exchange of routine information only.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REGULAR ATTENDANCE is required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Required High school degree or GED.
- Preferred Associates degree (AA or equivalent from two-year college or technical school).
- Preferred A Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or University in GIS, Geospatial Science, Geography, Environmental Science, Computer Science and/or GIS Certification. Or equivalent technical experience.
0-2 Year(s) Experience in GIS and/or CAD programs and working in the GIS utility industry
Moderate amount of on-the-job training to use client programs and processes.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as procedure manuals, operational procedures, etc.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and distance.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Other; Understanding of spatial concepts, projections, and query operations.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.