This is entry level technical work involved in performing drafting and related tasks for the preparation and maintenance of engineering maps, designs, drawings and records. Work also involves the use of personal computers, calculators, and other technical data processing and data gathering devices. Work is performed under the general direction of an appropriate supervisor, and checked for accuracy, quality and the ability to complete work in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Example of Duties:
- Develops maps, graphics and/or engineering drawings from sketches, verbal information and from field observations using ESRI's ArcGIS software, Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) software or similar programs.
- Performs the function of converting existing maps and/or engineering drawings to a computerized database.
- Develops and maintains an efficient filing and records system.
- Develops and produces presentation graphic materials.
- Responsibilities include various tasks and assignments involving both office and field duties, which include engineering drafting, field inspections and related work.
- Interpret and plot survey field notes and plans layouts from engineering notes through computer assisted programs.
Performs related work as required.
- AS degree from an accredited college with course work in business, mathematics or statistics is preferred.
- Six (6) months of experience in GIS maintenance using ESRI's ArcGIS software or training in ESRI's ArcGIS software or six (6) months of experience in technical drafting using Computer Aided Design in Drafting (CADD) software or similar software.
- Must possess a valid state of Florida driver's license.
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- Must be able to attend meetings at locations other than primary work location.
- Must work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
- Ability to understand and extract pertinent information from technical data or reports.
- Ability to learn the Polk County Property System, interpret legal property descriptions and understand easement terminology within six (6) months.
- Knowledge of coordinate systems related to computerized mapping.
- Ability to learn techniques used in updating and maintaining data within an ESRI GIS environment.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and engineering drawings.
- Ability to assist field personnel regarding engineering related activities that may also include survey work, maintaining surveying equipment and perform engineer/surveying calculations.
- Basic knowledge of engineering theory, practices, standards and methods used in office and field engineering for design, construction, surveying and mapping.
- Ability to perform some manual labor.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, consultants, developers and the general public.
- Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a recurring basis and up to 40 pounds occasionally with routine keyboard operations, operation of City general purpose vehicles (automobile or pick up truck), some job duties may be performed in an office environment while other duties may require field work at various outdoor job sites.
- The job risks exposure to no significant environmental hazards, and occasional exposure to extreme noise levels, dusts pollen, bright or dim lights, extreme cold or heat, wet or humid conditions, fumes, noxious odors.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.