Under the direct supervision of the City Engineer and Assistant City Engineer, in cooperation with the Engineering/GIS Technician, to develop Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) construction plans, maintain City infrastructure data, and develop and maintain the Geographic Information System (GIS) of the City’s infrastructure assets along with supporting the Engineering, Community Development and Building Safety Departments by providing daily office duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Performs database administration and advanced SQL based database programming for City infrastructure and maintains City asset data and mapping with CAD/GIS software.
- Helps maintain the City/Utility GIS software.
- Creates/maintains the public facing GIS websites.
- Provides spreadsheets, reports and mapping from GIS/City infrastructure database and provides distribution system maps and reports.
- Develops and maintains modeling software, CAD and GIS standards.
- Creates CAD drawings to represent the physical plant, facility and distribution/collection system infrastructures.
- Converts field data (survey) into CAD/GIS drawings of City infrastructure.
- Provides accurate maps and reports as required by the City staff.
- Creates and maintains a drawing filing system and produces copies of original drawings using printers, plotters or blue-line copy machines.
- Performs work as requested and creates and maintains files for all Engineering records.
- Conducts GPS surveying of City infrastructure and coordinates survey data submittals from consultants, developers and other governmental agencies.
- Develops and maintains CAD and GIS standards and processes.
- Assists the City Engineer in preparing special assessment rolls and public hearing notices.
- Supports and performs specified assignments for the Engineering, Building Safety and Community Development departments.
- Processes various permit applications, including explanation of requirements, procedures and codes; calculates and collects appropriate fees.
- Greets visitors and answers incoming telephone calls, answers inquiries concerning planning, zoning, building inspections and engineering projects or refers visitors or callers to the proper official.
- Types reports, correspondence, forms, construction specifications, meeting agendas and minutes using word processing and spreadsheet software from rough drafts or verbal instructions.
- Files and maintains electronic and paper project files.
- Provide staff support to appointed municipal boards and commissions.
- Performs a variety of other staff support, research and development activities associated with engineering, building, planning and economic development.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSA’s)
- A working knowledge of good engineering practices with respect to plan sheet layout.
- Knowledge in CAD, GIS and manual (paper) drafting operations and techniques.
- Ability to convert paper drawings and field notes to computer drawings and data.
- Ability to conduct basic engineering design calculations and interpret engineering design data.
- Ability to interpret basic engineering design data.
- Ability to research basic utilities related information.
- Ability to visualize and demonstrate interpretive understanding in the preparation of finished engineering drawings.
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet and database software provided by the Utility, including Computer Aided Drafting and Design software.
- Ability to create, query and update databases (SQL, MS Access)
- Knowledge of and ability to efficiently use Local Area Networks (LAN) and Global Information Systems (GIS).
- Ability to effectively and cooperatively work with others.
- Knowledge in engineering design software.
- Ability to understand building codes, planning and zoning regulations.
- Ability to interpret and apply policies, regulations and procedures.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to keep complex financial and statistical records.
- Strong interpersonal skills to maintain effective relationships with staff and the general public.
- Knowledge of office procedures, equipment and office management practices.
- Ability to work on a variety of project simultaneously and within established deadlines.
Education and Experience
Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent and two years of formal education in GIS, CAD surveying, Engineering Technology, or a similar field. Three years of applicable experience is preferred and experience using ESRI is beneficial. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Proficient in word processing, spreadsheets and database software. Experience in customer service and a professional office setting.
This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 10 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting and occasionally requires repetitive motions; work requires close vision, ability to adjust focus, depth perception and color perception; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data; work has no exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.