An employee in this position inputs spatial data into databases and uses GIS software to create maps and publish maps.
• Maintain GIS utilities data by acquiring necessary data, inputting information, checking data integrity, and logging the status of all data received
• Perform data collection and field assignments including but not limited to, Water/Sewer Department and Stormwater Department
• Uploads collected data into city databases using various electronic media
• Maintains fluency in GIS software
• Perform in a team environment as well as independently with minimal supervision
• Represent the City, GIS and or Public Works in a professional manner
• Checks own work for accuracy and completeness
• Compiles Geographic Data from a variety of sources including engineering as-builts, field observations, aerial photographs and existing maps
• Learns to create/revise maps and reports using geospatial data and GIS software according to cartographic design principles
• Operates GIS hardware, plotters, and printers
• Provides support to both internal and external users for GIS applications, hardware, software and databases
• Responds to inquiries from the public, and distribute data to internal and external customers as needed
Additional duties as assigned
EDUCATION & OR EXPERIENCE
Successful completion of at least one year of coursework or equivalent certification from an accredited college, university, or technical school, including at least 24 semester hours in computer science or geographic coursework.
Substitution of Experience for Education :Education equivalent to a graduation from a standard high school and experience equivalent to two years in one or a combination of the following:
1) any geographical measurement work including, but not limited to computer aided drafting design, software applications development for GIS, or the creation of maps or related reports using GIS, or
2) any information systems work including, but not limited to computer programming, database administration, or information systems analysis.
Motor Vehicle requirement - Valid Tennessee drivers license and clean driving record are required
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is frequently required to talk, hear, see, and use hands and fingers.
Hardware used; scanner, copier, fax machine, large document plotter, GPS data collector, and computer. Software used Microsoft Office. ESRI ArcGIS, AutoDesk Products, Trimble Geo 7x and any extensions to these basic programs. Duties are primarily performed in the office environment. Employee will work outside and may be exposed weather conditions such as sun and/or humid conditions. Noise level is usually moderate.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.