Examples of Duties
This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Applies general knowledge using GIS software to produce maps, drawings, charts, graphs and related documents.
- Processes and digitizes data to enter information into the geographic information system.
- Creates and modifies data files by entering electronically converted data into appropriate database, geo-databases and enterprise geo-database systems.
- Researches computer databases, recorded documentation, and hard copy files for maps, as-built drawings, construction drawings, specifications, right-of-ways and easements, technical data, land descriptions, facility locations, ownership and similar information; summarizes such information for project use and support.
- Performs field data collection in the area to which assigned using GPS hardware and mobile devices; sets up equipment to perform asset location and inventory.
- Makes manual and/or visual checks of preliminary data and final products to ensure quality control of all data entering the system.
- Maintains accurate records and documentation of work performed; updates such records as procedures are modified.
- Makes adjustments and performs preventive maintenance on a variety of equipment required for data entry and output production; reports the need for maintenance or repair.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the unit's service to its customers by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a work team.
- Attends training meetings and upgrades knowledge of GIS system use; applies and documents new techniques as they are implemented.
- Uses standard office equipment, including a computer, in the course of the work; drives a personal or City motor vehicle to attend meetings and visit off-site City locations.
- Uses specialized equipment to produce copies of maps, drawings and blueprints.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with elected officials, clients, visitors, and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
Associate's Degree with major course work in geography, GIS or a closely related field; AND one (1) year of technical experience in entering data and producing finished documents using a geographic information system; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience as determined by Human Resources.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS:
Valid Driver's license.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Mapping and graphics procedures and techniques.
- Terminology and concepts of mapping, survey and geographic information systems.
- Computer aided design software (AutoCAD, etc.) is beneficial. Digitizing and data manipulation procedures for geographic information systems.
- Computer-aided mapping and graphic techniques.
- Record keeping principles and practices.
- Engineering and cartographic mathematics.
- Geographic systems hardware, software and applications as utilized by the City.
Applicable laws, codes and regulations.
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals, at all levels of responsibility, in person and over the telephone, often where relations may be confrontational or strained.
- Communicating effectively in oral and written forms.
- Using computer-aided systems to produce maps, graphics, and figures.
- Using ArcGIS Desktop and/or Esri GIS products.
- Using desktop computers (Windows) and office computer applications; particularly Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Using mobile devices; specifically Apple iOS and/or Android device platforms.
- Maintaining accurate records of work performed.
- Understanding and following oral and written directions.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
- Using a sophisticated geographic information system to produce maps and related information.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
- Reading and interpreting surveys, legal descriptions, maps, aerial and ortho photographs.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Correct business English, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Dealing successfully with City staff at various levels, the public, in person and over the telephone.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED:
Under General Supervision - Incumbents at this level are given assignments and objectives that are governed by specifically outlined work methods and a sequence of steps, which are explained in general terms. The responsibility for achieving the work objectives, however, rests with a superior. Immediate supervision is not consistent, but checks are integrated into work processes and/or reviews are frequent enough to ensure compliance with instructions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in a typical office setting, use standard office equipment and stamina to sit for extended periods of time; strength to lift and carry up to 50 pounds; vision to read printed materials; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone; exposure to traffic conditions, external environment, and adverse weather conditions when traveling from one office to another and in execution of field duties.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.