This position supports the broad mission of advancing the use of GIS in teaching, learning, and research across the liberal arts curriculum, and provides leadership for the effective application of spatial literacy within the Dickinson College community. The GIS Specialist collaborates with faculty, staff, and students to promote the use of maps, mapping, GIS, and spatial literacy as practical methodologies for problem solving, creative expression, and communication across the humanities, social science and scientific disciplines. The GIS Specialist is responsible for the implementation of GIS and GPS-based software programs and spatial data resources across campus. The GIS Specialist will also lead in the development of a Spatial Literacy Center and then will manage all activities associated with the operation of the center.
- Classroom Instruction — Teaches core courses focused on GIS competency and spatial literacy in support of academic department objectives. Plans and executes course curriculum, presentation material, and lab assignments. Delivers classroom lectures and presentations, conducts lab exercises, and assesses students’ performance.
- Conducts individual, group and/or classroom training sessions on GIS applications for teaching, research, and learning in the liberal arts curriculum. Designs, develops, and evaluates instructional materials and programs. Delivers effective oral and written presentations. Creates documentation in support of the academic mission.
- Manages and directs all activities associated with the daily operation of the Spatial Literacy Center in fulfillment of its broad mission to promote spatial literacy and effective use of GIS technology across the Dickinson Community. Assists faculty with preparation for GIS-based lab exercises or course material. Assists faculty and staff with GIS-based research or projects.
- Assists students with GIS course assignments. Supports campus and community outreach activities related to GIS. Organizes and maintains GPS, survey, and other field data collection equipment in proper working order.
- Manages all activities associated with the deployment and operation of GIS software and data resources across campus. Coordinates and administers the software licensing required for the daily operation of all GIS and GPS related program applications on campus. This includes serving as primary organizational and maintenance contact for Dickinson’s Education
- Institutional Agreement with ESRI for the campus-wide ArcGIS site license. Implements appropriate upgrades and updates for installed GIS and GPS related software applications consistent with industry standards. Maintains enterprise GIS databases in support of server-based data visualization and mapping projects. Collects, edits, organizes, and manages spatial datasets for the GIS data server.
- Provides technical expertise to the campus community on the use of maps, mapping, GIS, and spatial literacy for teaching, learning and research across the curriculum. Provides planning, instruction, and implementation support for faculty running GIS-based projects in their labs and classrooms. Povides support to students for developing GIS-based independent study, senior capstone, and senior thesis projects, and for web-based Story Map projects.
- Maintains a high level of awareness about pedagogy and emerging GIS-based technologies.
- Monitors, evaluates, and shares trends in maps, mapping, GIS, and spatial-based technologies for academic applications. Explores new technologies, materials, and techniques for their potential to foster innovation and creativity and distinguish Dickinson College as a leader in spatially-based technology. Evaluates existing systems for future enhancement or replacement.
- Collaborates with staff across the division and college in task forces and committees to achieve shared goals. Supervises student interns in the GIS Lab.
Preferred Qualifications Education: Required:
- Master’s Degree in Geography, GIS, Geosciences, environmental Studies, Computer Science or equivalent.
- Doctoral Degree in Geography, GIS, Geosciences, environmental Studies, Computer Science or equivalent
- GISP (GIS Professional) certification highly desirable.
- Driver’s license preferred but not required.
- 3-5 years work experience
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.