The Department of Information Technology (DIT) serves as the Technology Center for the State of NC. Services that DIT provides reach a client base of state and local government agencies, as well as schools, colleges and universities. The primary purpose of this position is to provide support for GIS activities utilizing data collection, data analysis, and data dissemination practices in the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ); specifically focused on Division of Marine Fisheries (DMF) initiatives.
Job responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
- Develop, test, and maintain GIS data, applications, and mapping products for Division of Marine Fisheries programs working with the Fisheries Information Management and Support System (FIMSS) federal grant.
- Integrate application data with DMF databases and other applications/systems.
Collaborate with DIT management and DEQ/DMF program leaders to understand and implement business needs.
- Participate and/or facilitate with user groups for new and existing application requirements, enhancements, and maintenance.
- Provide training, documentation, and ad-hoc reports as required and applicable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
***To receive credit for your work experience and credentials, you must document on your application that you possess all of the following:***
- Demonstrated experiences with ESRI suite of software, including ArcGIS desktop suite, ArcGIS server, SDE, ArcGIS Online.
- Demonstrated experiences implementing, maintaining, and documenting GIS projects and AGOL applications.
- Demonstrated experiences working with enterprise databases and data integration practices.
- Demonstrated experiences of knowledge of natural resource issues.
- Demonstrated experiences to create reports for projects and timesheets.
- Demonstrated experiences with the ability to communicate effectively orally and in written form.
***The following Management Preferences are not required, but applicants that possess these skills are preferred:***
- Experience with biological databases.
- Experience with teaching GIS techniques and principles.
- Experience utilizing hardware for GIS applications, including tablet, desktop, laptop and server
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer
- Engineering, math, or Engineering or related technical degree from an appropriately accredited institution and one year of experience in business application consulting or development; or
Bachelor's degree and some computer coursework from an appropriately accredited institution and two years of experience in business application consulting or development; or
Associate's degree in Computer Programming from an appropriately accredited institution and two years of experience in application consulting or development; or
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.