This position works in a team environment to provide complex technical services relating to the updating, maintaining and operation of the GIS program for county departments, other agencies, and the public. Assist county departments and benefiting organizations in the development and expansion of the County GIS program. Interact regularly with the public and individuals at all levels within City, County, and State agencies. Perform the technical work necessary to produce GIS services in the most efficient and effective manner possible.
- Develop and maintain geographic and attribute databases. Convert data formats. Change data projections;
- Develop and maintain online mapping applications;
- Occasionally make presentations to County departments, County committees, and the County Board;
- Manage and customize systems for increased productivity and ease of use;
- Install, configure, and maintain software and hardware for optimal performance;
- Respond to end user requests for support;
- Train individuals or groups, as needed, in the use of software and/or hardware;
- Assist in the planning of future direction and needs for the Environmental GIS department;
- Participate in committees and user groups, and attend conferences and training as needed;
- Assist with GIS data acquisition including, but not limited to, coordinate geometry, GPS,
- digitizing, scanning, photography, shape files and databases of geospatial data;
- Ability to read and interpret legal descriptions;
- Document processes for creating and maintaining data, processes used in programming and customizing software, and use of hardware;
- Assist with the back-up, distribution, and restoration from various media;
- Assist with data exchange between agencies, including creating agreements and collecting fees when necessary;
- Research technology related purchases and make recommendations to supervisor, or County Board when appropriate;
- Maintain Redwood County E911 Programs;
Access to Not Public Data – The incumbent may encounter not public data in the course of these duties. Any access to not public data should be strictly limited to accessing the data that are necessary to fulfill the employment responsibility. While data are being accessed, incumbent should take reasonable measures to ensure the not public data are not accessed by individuals without a work reason. Once the work reason to access the data is reasonably finished, incumbent must properly store the not public data according to the provisions of the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act (Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 13).
Performs other related duties as assigned by the Department Head.
If a new work assignment requires access to not public data, the incumbent is permitted to access not public data for the work assignment purposes only. Any access to not public data must be strictly limited to the data necessary to complete the work assignment and after the assignment is completed, the employee’s work assignment no longer requires access
Education, Experience and Skills Required
Bachelor’s degree in Geography or related field with an emphasis in GIS. 1-2 years of related work experience preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Extensive knowledge of ESRI products. General knowledge of other related GIS products and programs including working knowledge of parcel fabric;
- Experience in the development and implementation of GIS in a networked environment.
- Ability to work with consultants and/or vendors of technology related products and services.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to initiate, develop, and maintain the implementation of complex GIS and IT related projects.
- Ability to customize GIS applications.
- Working knowledge of ESRI software extensions.
- Experience using a large format scanner and/or plotter;
- Knowledge and ability to use Microsoft operating systems and office software.
- Experience working with networked computers and servers highly desirable.
- Knowledge and skill required to manipulating data between file formats from a variety of sources.
- Ability to work independently, make decisions, and follow projects through to completion as required by the position’s job description.
- Ability to create informative and useful hard copy map products.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems with computer hardware and software.
- Knowledge and skills for creating and maintaining web-based applications.
- Must accept multiple tasks and be adaptable to a variety of disciplines and requests.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and written.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment including calculator, computer, automobile, four wheeler, telephone, fueling system, copiers, facsimile machine, GPS equipment, and various tools.
- Must be physically capable of moving or carrying job-related objects or materials.
- Physical demand requirements are at levels of those for sedentary or office environment work.
Requires the ability to utilize mathematical formulas; add and subtract; multiply and divide totals; determine percentages; determine time and weight; perform calculations involving variables, formulas, square roots, and polynomials; perform statistical calculations; and interpret same as may be appropriate. Requires the ability to utilize complex computer programs for the performance of essential duties.
- Requires the ability to read a variety of professional, technical and administrative documentation, directions, instructions, methods and procedures.
- Requires the ability to produce reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar, using all parts of speech.
- Requires the ability to communicate with and before others using correct grammar.
- Requires the ability to communicate with people to convey or exchange professional information.
- Requires the ability to interact with people (i.e. staff, general public and elected officials) beyond giving and/or receiving instructions.
- Work is normally performed in an office environment.
- The qualifications listed above are guidelines. Other combinations of education and experience could provide necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform this job.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.