The GIS Technician provides staff support in development, maintenance, updating and retrieving information from various GIS related files and relational databases of the City's Geographic information System (GIS).
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
- Completion of two years of college coursework in engineering, GIS, planning, architecture, Computer aided drafting, computer applications or a related field.
- Two (2) year's demonstrated experience with ArcGIS, SQL Server, Geodatabase, Microsoft Office Products, MicroStation and AutoCAD or any combination of relevant education and experience such as completion of a bachelor's degree in geography or related field.
- Drafting and/or surveying experience is a plus as is programming skills. GIS and database experience with a local government preferred.
- Possession of a valid Class C Driver's License issued by the State of Texas for the type of vehicle or equipment operated with acceptable driving record required.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
Essential duties and functions may include the following:
- Use ArcGIS and ESRI products to create and maintain map layers and drawings information for all Public Works Departments to include: Streets, Solid Waste, Utilities, Cemetery, Planning, Code Enforcement, Permits,
- Provide prompt and courteous service to the general public as well as engineers, architects, contractors, software and equipment vendors, developers, landowners, citizens and City staff.
- Develop maps for presentations and in-office use.
- Collect, transfer, input, and plot GIS related data from a GPS device, surveyor data, field nots or engineering plans. Update GIS data pertaining to the City infrastructure using GPS coordinates, AutoCAD files and City staff notes.
- Develop models on a computer system. Transfer information from hard maps to computer-based maps.
- Maintain permanent records, files, and drawings.
- Assist in reviewing subdivision drafts.
- Assist in researching and preparing Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) related to the position.
- Interpret and research legal documents and apply this information to the maintenance of varied GIS-based data.
- Digiting cartographic data, entering demographic and geographic data into the data base, and preparing maps according to specified criteria.
- Develop, implement and maintain the City's GIS maps and hard copy storage systems. Gather data, create map layers, coordinate the development and maintain GIS base maps as well as other mapping products while ensuring that information provided is up to date and accurate.
- Employee is responsible for contacting businesses and the general public as well as City staff to request and disseminate information.
- Perform other related duties as directed.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Ability to create models and read CAD drawings.
- Ability to print plotted documents and maintain plotter.
- Ability to use assigned hand-held GPS devices in order to collect data that can be transferred to map layers.
- Knowledge of the fundamental principles and practices of ESRI Geodatabases.
- Skill in Microsoft Office and associated programs and software.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Must be self-driven and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to problem solve and meet deadlines.
- Read and interpret engineering drawings and understand surveyor's notes.
The Assistant City Manager will assign work in terms of somewhat general instructions to the GIS Technician. The Assistant City Manager will check work for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include City and departmental policies and procedures, state laws and supervisory instructions. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but require some interpretation in application.
The work consists of related duties in maintaining and updating systems using geodatabases.
SCOPE AND EFFECT
The purpose of this position is to operate, update and maintain the City's GIS databases. Successful performance facilitates the speed and accuracy of information as it is distributed to City departments as well as the public as both needed and required.
Contacts are typically with co-workers, City employees, vendors, engineers, contractors, state agency representatives and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS
Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, provide quality services and resolve problems.
The work is frequently performed while sitting at a desk or table. Occasionally lift and carry up to 20 up to 25 pounds, frequently walk, stand, bend, and kneel during shift, some outdoor activity, occasional exposure to extreme heat, cold, noise
The work is performed both indoors and outdoors.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.