Work involves support of the design, development, and management of GIS data resources within the context of the City of Hamilton's Enterprise GIS programs and policy directives. Work includes GIS database activities and database development and modernization for multiple departments within the City of Hamilton. Performs quality control assurance of data enhancement initiatives and assistance with GIS data conversion projects. Work will include development of mapping and analysis products. This position reports to the Data and Analysis Administrator.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists with database modernization and quality control assurance of data enhancement initiatives;
- Assists with the preparation, reproduction and distribution of maps, graphics, displays and other related documents. Digitizes and produce maps, assist in creating, updating and maintaining GIS data. Processes and prepares imported data for use in a database, and catalogs current historical data. Responsible for cartographic design for map products;
- Provides input in evaluating requirements for database enhancement and system upgrades;
- Trains user staff in the operation of GIS application;
- Provides user support for GIS application programs;
- Assists in evaluating requirements for database enhancement and system upgrades;
- Assists in developing and following GIS database standards for content;
- Assists in development and following GIS database standards for content, format, design, and maintenance;
- Investigates and recommends sources and approaches for automating GlS database elements;
- Performs related work as required.
- Basic administrative skills to manage an Oracle Server;
- Some knowledge of LAN/WAN networking design and management;
- Through knowledge of GlS applications and related third party programs;
- Ability to communicate and analyze the needs of non-technical end-users in various City departments;
- Ability to produce understandable technical manuals;
- Ability to perform work with speed, accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures;
- Ability to independently solve problems within assigned areas of responsibility;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City employees,
Department Heads, Division Heads, other supervisory personnel and the general public;
- Ability to communicate well with others, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to handle confidential employee and administrative information with tact and discretion.
- Graduation from a college or university of recognized standing with a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Cartography, Geography or closely associated field of study; or
- One (1) year of work experience in network design and administration, software development and database design and administration.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.