About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants has an opportunity for a GIS Specialist to support the our Phoenix, AZ office. This position will support our natural and cultural resources programs. In addition, this position may include collaboration and support from other SWCA GIS groups.
It is SWCA's goal to bring on dynamic individuals who are following their passion in delivering the highest-quality project work to provide sound science and creative solutions.
What you will accomplish
- Support GIS workload with the team to ensure that productivity goals are met and that projects are delivered on time and on budget
- Maintain a collaborative work environment between project managers and GIS specialists
- Help ensure over qualify of work is consistent with SWCA's standards and practices alongside other GIS team members
- Act as a technical and analytical lead within the GIS group for providing GIS solutions
- Use ESRI ArcGIS Desktop for editing data, analysis and making maps, including the use of geoprocessing tools , symbolizing features, importing/exporting a wide range of data and file types, and producing report quality and field maps in a reasonable amount of time
- Data management and support for a variety of handheld GPS units using ArcGIS Mobile, Trimble GPS Analyst/Positions/GPSCorrect, and ArcPad
- Create complex final map products using ArcGIS to show data representations such as basic (roads, streams, buildings, etc.), complex (buffers, overlays, merges, viewsheds, spatial joins and relates, etc.), and analytical (raster math, spatial analyses, models, multi-variate statistics, multi-dimensional data arrays, etc.)
- Help design, create, maintain, and QA/QC geospatial databases using ArcGIS.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Cartography, Archaeology, Biology,
- Environmental Science or related field with an emphasis in GIS (or GIS certificate); Master’s degree a plus
- A minimum of three (3) years of professional work beyond university attendance
- Strong understanding of topological relationships, troubleshooting complex data sets, and applying creative solutions to problems
- Prior work in natural or cultural resources management, remote sensing, and/or water resources, and prior experience working with federal land agencies such as the USFS, NPS, BLM, BOR, USGS, or other, is very desirable
- Demonstrated ability of data transfer, data analysis, data mining, and data inventory using software applications (e.g., Windows Explorer, Excel, Access, ESRI ArcGIS)
- Demonstrated knowledge of cartography and computer mapping including design principles and understanding map creation procedures in ArcGIS
- Demonstrated experience with GPS technology, field data collection techniques, data integration to a GIS, and troubleshooting of equipment and digital files.
- Ability to produce presentations, and/or written protocol of methods for reports or within metadata to replicate GIS-related analyses or modeling techniques applied on projects is strongly preferred.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.