Are you ready to turn your GIS, Cartographic, and Data Visualization skills into powerful decision-making tools that help drive Smart City goals? If so, this position may be right for you!
The City of Norfolk's Information Technology GIS Team is seeking to hire a highly motivated GIS Specialist III to join our team of innovative thinkers and problem solvers. The opportunity includes collaborating with the team on real-time, web-based GIS solutions in an advanced environment with expanding ArcGIS Enterprise architecture. The GIS Specialist III will perform various GIS tasks including data maintenance and analysis, mapping and data visualization, troubleshooting and technical support, and application development.
We are looking for someone who is willing to learn and continuously build their skill set while participating on the design and implementation of innovative projects that support Departments and initiatives throughout the City.
Departmental Hiring Salary Range: $56,314 - $64,761
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
Analysis and Maintenance:
- Analyze, design, and maintain geographic information systems (GIS).
- Recommend, install, and support application software and hardware.
- Perform problem analysis and resolution, design; implement, test, debug, and maintain client/server databases and/or web-based applications.
- Create scripts to automate processes for updating databases used in applications.
- Evaluate new technology applications and propose new solutions.
- Cartography and Data Visualization:
- Create maps, charts, tables, graphs, and graphics using GIS and related software.
- Create application logos, icons, user interface, and supporting graphics.
- Customize Esri templates and create web-based applications using Esri's ArcGIS API for
Requirements Gathering, Design:
- Determine customer's requirements by learning the customer's current processes, documenting the requirements, writing system and program specifications, and obtaining approvals.
- Develop specifications, diagrams, flowcharts, and system documentation.
- Design applications to meet requirements and goals.
- Use structured analysis to ensure the solution is efficient, cost-effective and financially feasible.
- Development, Programming, Implementation:
- Develop custom applications (desktop\web\mobile) using ESRI ArcGIS Enterprise.
- Utilize Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodologies.
- Support application implementation, testing and performance.
- Adhere to departmental data standards in program development and system design to maintain a structured environment.
- Provide support to customers by conducting analysis of business processes, customer's relations, training, and preparing reports and presentations.
- Maintain, monitor, and resolve issues related to hardware and applications.
- Provide informal staff training and support to enhance the available technical in-house expertise.
Work requires broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
Requires at least three years of demonstrated experience with Esri ArcGIS software and GIS concepts.
Academic courses or areas of concentration preferred to perform the required job duties:
Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Esri ArcGIS
Preferred License(s) and/or Certification(s):
GIS Professional Certification (GISP) a plus; GIS Certificate from an accredited university required if no Bachelor's in GIS or related field.
Additional Information & Requirements
Skills critical to succeed in this role:
- Desire to learn and constantly look for ways to improve processes.
- Capability to work independently in GIS mapping and analysis assignments.
- Ability to think critically and logically for troubleshooting and system support.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers with little GIS knowledge.
- Understanding of Web design and visual communication in the context of interactive web maps and applications.
- Experience with ArcGIS Desktop products as well as ArcGIS Online and/or Portal.
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
The preferred candidate will have experience in the following:
- Interacting with the Esri Enterprise Environment including ArcGIS Portal, ArcGIS Image Server, ArcGIS GeoEvent Server, ArcGIS Monitor, etc.
- Using business intelligence software for analysis and data visualization.
- Using ArcPy, ArcGIS API for Python, and/or Python for application development and customization.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.