Pay Grade 214
Job Class Non-Supervisory
Workers Comp Code 8810
Category Code 3-Technician
NATURE OF JOB
This mid-level position functions as a member of the GIS Team in the development and maintenance of the County’s Enterprise Geographic Information System (EGIS). Working in conjunction with Division goals and guidelines, the GIS Specialist I works with various county and municipal departments to ensure that their needs for GIS information and services are met on an ongoing basis. Duties are performed under the direction of the GIS Division Manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Updates and maintains the master street address database
- Reviews proposed road name and addresses to ensure compliance with road naming and addressing policies
- Works directly with the public, issuing addresses and responding to addressing questions, issues, or concerns
- Enters spatial data using established workflows and methods through the use of use of coordinate geometry and other heads-up digitizing methods
- Produces standard and custom maps using ArcGIS software
- Responsible for the collection of data in the field using GPS devices and post processing of results
- Reviews GIS data for accuracy by applying established specifications
- Creates and edits data from various data sources with accompanying attributes and metadata
- Fulfills data requests and inquiries from various customers (both public and private)
- Performs outreach functions to publicize the Division’s GIS services and promote the use of GIS throughout the region
- Maintains and continually upgrades knowledge of GIS functionality, principles, and practices
- Stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of GIS, database design, and related hardware and software
- Collaborates with other GIS staff and various county and municipal departments to understand their geographic data needs
- Assists in the development of GIS applications and solutions
- Assists in the maintenance of GIS software, applies patches, and troubleshoots technical problems
- Assists in the development of training programs to expand the use of GIS
- Assists in the development of data collection, input, and modeling standards for GIS data
- Regular reliable full time attendance as scheduled.
- The employer may add to or change duties at any time and as determined by the County and its leaders to best ensure that the public is served through the work of the Department.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent coursework from an accredited college or university in GIS, Geography, Information System Management or a closely related field with major course work in GIS, or equivalent academic credentials related to the field of GIS.
- At least three years of experience in the use of GIS technology in the development and maintenance of a multi-user geographic information system.
- A comparable amount of training and/or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications. GIS certification can be used to establish equivalency.
- Must be able to speak, write, and comprehend English language
LICENSES AND/OR CERTIFICATIONS
- Geographic Information Systems Professional (GISP) preferred, not required.
- Esri ArcGIS Desktop Professional (EADP) preferred, not required.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Florida driver license upon offer of employment with a driving record acceptable to the County Driving Policy and insurance program.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the principles of geographic information science and GIS technology
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of GPS receivers and skill in their use for data collection
- Knowledge of the principles of data entry, including heads-up digitizing of data from aerial photography
- Strong capability of spatial analysis and cartographic skills
- Advanced skill in the use of GIS software, particularly ArcGIS
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, division and department heads, public/private sector contacts, and County administration
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize work, establish priorities, meet deadlines, and follow up on assignments with a minimum of direction
- Ability to utilize personal computers, standard office equipment and standard software applications such as word processors, database software, and spreadsheet applications
- Ability to operate a variety of devices such as scanners, printers, and large format plotters
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Work is primarily performed indoors but requires some exposure to environmental changes (e.g., outdoor weather and/or field conditions, etc.) or irate customers, extreme noise, odors, heights and/or dust.
This position requires some exposure or risk to physical health and/or physical safety (e.g., outdoor weather and/or field conditions, etc.). This position may require the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Stooping, crouching, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, hearing, seeing up close, seeing far away, kneeling, reaching, pushing, talking, standing, climbing, finger movement, repetitive motions, depth perception. This position may require lifting up to 50 lbs.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.