Summary: Responsible for mapping and data analyses using GIS technology. Provide technical support using GIS for Tribal planning activities and other department projects. Track and Locate all Band utilities.
- Develop and maintain proficiency with the use of ArcView and ArcGIS and their applications.
- Develop and maintain proficiency with the use of global positioning system hardware and software.
- Work cooperatively with the IT Department to maintain system hardware and software and recommend purchases, as needed.
- Develop custom GIS applications and databases for departmental projects.
- Create custom geographic products related to departmental projects utilizing GIS software.
- Produce digital and hard copy maps for departmental projects.
- Maintain an accurate inventory of all Band utilities on Band lands.
- Conduct utility locates in the field as requested in an expedited and accurate manner, to include flagging and marking all utilities.
- Conduct field examinations of road conditions and assessments to include accurate BIA road inventory.
- Oversee the inventory, use, and maintenance of equipment used to conduct job duties.
- Assist with the preparation of special studies, reports, and special projects.
- Maintain records, and prepare reports and correspondence related to work.
- Perform other related functions as assigned.
- Standard office equipment.
- Global Positioning Systems and GIS workstations.
- Traffic counters.
- Digitizing tablets.
- Trucks, ATV’s, boats.
- Systems used: MS Office applications, Internet, ArcGIS, and Adobe.
- Associate Degree from an accredited institution whose program of study has been recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or the United States Department of Education is required. Bachelor of Science Degree in a scientific discipline or a planning-related field from an accredited institution whose program of study has been recognized by the Council for
- Higher Education Accreditation or the United States Department of Education is preferred.
- Minimum three (3) year’s professional experience in a municipal or tribal government GIS capacity. Preferably with utility locating experience as well.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications required; CAD experience is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of the operational and technical problems involved in the administration of a specialized program.
- Excellent presentation, communication (oral and written), and interpersonal skills; ability to speak effectively before groups of employees and the public.
- Pokagon Band Preference Code applies.
- Work is generally sedentary in nature and will frequently require sitting, however standing and walking will occasionally be necessary.
- Frequently required to use hands and fingers to operate equipment.
- Frequently required to talk and hear.
- Outdoor work requires the ability to stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, and crawl.
- May lift and/or move up to 70 pounds.
- 50% general office and 50% field environment.
- Outdoor environment; frequently exposed to outside weather condition during all four seasons.
- Must be flexible with work schedule.
- Local travel is necessary, the ability to obtain and maintain approval to drive Band vehicles is required.
- Fostering Learning
- Quality Focus
- Continuous Learning
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.