Licenses and Certificates: None.
Under direction, plan, develop, supervise and control multiple integrated databases in a distributed, multi-tasking, wide area network system or GIS environment.
- Analyze logical and physical requirements for database applications. Involves: Review database designs for correct normalization. Determine impact of new or modified databases on other interactive applications and across entire system.
- Analyze business procedures and problems to refine data for database management systems. Analyze, design and implement accurate, secure, efficient, logical and physical databases and coordinate database development applying knowledge of database design standards and database management systems.
- Coordinate database design and operation. Involves: Utilize Spatial Database Engine (SDE) for GIS products. Develop standards regarding common data field structures. Create cross references for integrated databases. Write database descriptions and specify database identifiers. Develop data models, their elements and use. Implement, maintain and instruct users and technical staff on use of query and decision support tools. Identifies and resolves production and/or applications development problems related to the use of the database management system, software, or utilities.
- Review project requests describing both GIS data layers residing in a database or a geo-database and determine needs. Studies existing data handling systems to evaluate effectiveness, and develops new systems to improve production or workflow as required.
- Provide technical assistance to customers and the department. Involves: Respond to problem inquiries, guides technical staff in access of data. Conduct performance testing of programmer code to ensure efficient database access and proper use of indices.
- Maintain database system integrity, accessibility, general security, and access privileges. Involves: Ensure accuracy of data conversion specifications, software installation, upgrades and maintenance. Develop, set up and initiate data recovery systems. Optimize system response and resources by tuning applications, database queries, system hardware and operating system, Maintain data file and data element references. Stay abreast of industry trends and all applicable technologies. Other duties as assigned.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.