The GIS Programmer position designs, codes, deploys, and maintains custom applications (GIS, web and Windows). Debugs and adapts existing custom and off-the-shelf applications.
Position Schedule: Monday - Friday, 7:30 am - 4:30 pm
Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, physical examination (if applicable) and drug screen are required prior to employment with the City of Cedar Rapids.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
- Designs, codes, deploys, and maintains custom applications (GIS web and Windows); debugs scripts and adapts existing custom and off-the-shelf applications.
- Researches, designs, codes, implements, and manages custom-built or off-the-shelf software programs.
- Troubleshoots and identifies areas for modification in existing custom or off-the-shelf programs and subsequently developing modifications to databases and servers to increase efficiency.
- Researching, designing, implementing processes, and managing databases to support the information system security and general information technology framework and software code; supports, writes new programs and queries and modifies job control language.
- Develops, validates, and complies data to test programs throughout implementation phases.
- Analyzes maintenance, performance, and capacity tuning of programs and takes action to correct deficiencies based on consultation with users and approval from supervisor.
- Attends meetings, communicates with stakeholders, and end users to gain understanding and determine new program requirements, modifications of existing computer programs requiring logic changes, and training in use of applications.
- Prepares detailed workflow charts and diagrams that describe input, output and logical operation, and converts them into a series of instructs coded in a computer language.
- Reviews data analysis plans and writes data specifications documents for the development, maintenance and modification of programs.
- Resolves production support for all internal customers analyzing bugs.
- Performs related work as required.
Required Education and Experience
- Associate's Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems and
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse population
Required Licenses or Certifications
May be required to obtain Iowa NCIC certification based on work assignment
- Good knowledge of the ESRI ArcGIS suite of products and programming objects.
- Experience in GIS, cartography, survey, CAD, planning, E-911 systems, land records, asset management, geodesy, computer science, information systems.
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFULL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Software, hardware and computer operating systems (specifically Microsoft Windows XP Workstation and Microsoft Office Professional).
- Programming analytical practices and procedures.
- Principles of computer programming and of adapting computer-processing techniques to meet end-user needs.
- Business process analysis methods and techniques of programming, design and development.
- Principles, methods and techniques of computer programming language(s) used in data processing.
- Job control language concepts, functions, and capabilities of computer hardware.
Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature.
- Work collaboratively and develop and maintain effective working relationships
- Provide excellent customer service information technology support
- Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Train and instruct others, including systems and user-support personnel.
- Evaluate vendor software for compatibility with citywide computer systems.
- Analyze information requirements and needs, identify problems, provide technical advice and consultation, and insure efficient computer systems utilization.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.