Under general supervision, the incumbent is responsible for maintaining Harris County voter precinct maps and jurisdictional maps.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identifies new streets, verifies existing streets, etc. in Harris County and maintains them on a map of Political Jurisdictions.
- Provides maps of political subdivisions for Harris County, and provides answers to questions for the public.
- Interfaces with other addressing agencies; i.e., Center Point, City of Houston, 911, USPS, etc.
- Prints maps (fill map orders); uses print commands and/or uses flash drives to interface with large format HP Plotters.
- Maintains precinct map files and updates street files.
- Provides general election information to the public including but not limited to the precinct number, polling location, dates/hours/location of Early Voting.
- Processes telephone requests from the public.
- Assumes primary responsibility for mapping group preparedness before and during implementation of the any re-districting/re-precincting projects.
- Maintains precinct map files and street files.
- Maintains good customer relations and services with Tax Office employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate's Degree or higher in Geography, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Computer
- Science, or closely related field; and
- A minimum of one (1) year of using ESRI ArcGIS Release 10.x or greater, including ArcCatalog and ArcTool Box.
- Must have PC experience including, proficiency in a Microsoft Office 2010 or higher and Adobe Acrobat.
- Must have basic understanding of GIS concepts and technology including projections, relational databases, and cartographic production.
- Knowledge of English grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Demonstrated communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Possess strong organizational skills.
- Professional attitude and appearance.
- Must be able to learn and retain large amounts of information.
- Ability to work independently without supervision and function in a team environment.
- Must be able to multitask, work extended hours and weekends as needed, and maintain professional and friendly customer service..
- Ability to prepare, scale and print detailed maps with understanding of labeling/annotations.
- Ability to juggle multiple deadlines and initiatives, which is a routine part of this role.
Working Conditions, Mental and Physical Demands
- Typically, an office environment with adequate lighting and ventilation, and a normal range of temperature and noise level.
- Minor physical effort required, which may involve long periods of standing, walking, bending, reaching, stretching, climbing, lifting less than thirty (30) pounds or similar activities (e.g., filing, delivering, sorting).
- Work assignments may be diversified. (New alternatives may be developed.)
- A frequent volume of work and deadlines impose strain on a routine basis.
- Regular application of basic skills (calculator, keyboard, hand tools, eye/hand coordination).
NOTE: To qualify for this position, all requirements must be covered and clearly stated on your application's employment history. Resumes are welcome, but we do not use any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration; unless, your qualifications are also clearly stated on the application itself.
Proficiency with ArcPRO and working knowledge of building Web Applications.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.