Berkeley Lab’s Facilities Division has an opening for a GIS, Map and Drawing Technician. As a member of the Facilities Division, Plant Engineering Department, the Geographic Information System (GIS) Map and Drawing Technician will be responsible for drawing functions and provide critical support to the department by providing accurate drawings, GIS maps and spatial data reporting. This position will support engineering, operations, design and construction by providing as is documentation, archiving record drawings, generating design and existing condition source drawings, maintaining GIS graphical and database information.
What You Will Do:
- Develop and maintain base data to support mapping and spatial data needs of the Facilities Division including aerial maps, topographic data, digital terrain models, LIDAR data, 3D mesh models; analyze and develop data sets and create geodatabases. Datasets include utility systems, hardscape features, landscape features, and other maintainable assets.
- Provide spatial and location data to support Facilities Operations CMMS systems; and maintain and distribute existing condition source drawings.
- Ensure that the GIS and other systems are efficient and up to date by evaluating and incorporating advances in technology and software.
- Analyze current business practices, processes and procedures internal to the group and with external customers.
- Oversee dissemination and organization of drawing data/documents (CAD and PDF) to create printable maps to support operations, manage building and project drawing archives, and provide drawing access for facilities staff and campus partners.
- Provide technical assistance in database planning, and in creating and improving digital GIS data, drawings, and map illustrations.
What is Required:
- AA or Bachelor’s degree in a related area or 3 to 4 years of experience or training.
- Proficient in GIS database planning, design, and implementation.
- Ability to read and interpret graphs, charts, diagrams, air photos and maps and communicate complex, technical data to a non-technical audience.
- Knowledge and experience collecting topographic, infrastructure, and facilities features and assets.
- Knowledge and understanding of Utility Mapping standards, conventional surveying systems and conventions.
- Proficient in digitizing, plotting and drafting techniques and procedures, as well as data collection using GPS equipment.
- Proficient in administering and using the Windows operating system(s).
- Frequent use of GIS equipment such as printers, GPS systems and plotters; and frequent use of GIS and CAD software, including object-oriented programming and SQL.
- The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a full-time career appointment, non-exempt (hourly paid) from overtime pay.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- Salary will be determined based on range by collective bargaining agreement.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.