The GIS Manager oversees and facilitates the development, implementation, coordination and expansion of the city-wide GIS program. This position coordinates the development of inter-departmental goals as they relate to the integration of GIS, identifies resource requirements and costs. In addition, the GIS Manager facilitates the acquisition of new data through the management of contracts for GIS, survey-related services and GPS data collection efforts. This includes performing technical and paraprofessional engineering duties involving the QC/QA of tabular and spatial data, geographic analysis, cartographic and production graphics, and conducting training sessions for the staff. The GIS Manager remains current on industry specific knowledge and capabilities and identifies new technologies and opportunities that can be utilized by the City and integrated into the GIS. The GIS Manager may provide training or supervision of assigned personnel as directed by Finance Director. This position is FLSA Exempt and is not eligible for overtime compensation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The GIS Manager:
- Administers program development, operation and maintenance of the City’s Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Performs, manages and directs geospatial data management, analysis and workflow procedures utilizing GIS applications for City-wide applications
- Manages development, operation and maintenance of system databases, hardware, software and design. Evaluates data, identifies end user needs and implements system enhancements
- Coordinates and establishes short and long-term goals/objectives for the City’s GIS system to ensure current and future needs of internal and external customers within the scope of GIS are met
- Serves as the subject matter expert on GIS; provides technical support, training, and assistance to City staff; analyzes data, incorporates field data changes, and recommends solutions to maintain compliance to industry standards
- Develops standardized policy and procedures for integrating the requirements and standardizing the data to ensure quality control across the various departmental functions into the overall City database
- Produces special purpose maps and models of City departments; determines and executes the
appropriate sequence of data processing tasks; uses established GIS software programs, commands, programming languages, and compilation methods to generate, process, analyze, and manage spatial data to create maps, models, and update website information with minimal supervision
- Resolves technical problems, troubleshoots computer application programs, and adopts/recommends corrective course of action
- Manages the transfer of hard copy and digital records into the GIS database ensuring that data is current and accurately referenced
- Responds to requests for GIS information by City staff, outside jurisdictions, and the public, including timely updates of maps and data
- Interacts with people beyond giving and receiving instructions; communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, in clear, concise language appropriate for the purpose and parties addressed and maintain effective working relationships with public officials, consultants, vendors, co-workers, other departments, and diverse members of the public
- Identifies opportunities for new procedures and resource needs for GIS users and assists in the
development or acquisition of GIS applications to meet the unique needs of different departments
- Develops, maintains, and provides training and support to assist other GIS users and non-users in the development and application of GIS technology used throughout the City.
- Acts as the administrator for the City’s Asset Management Program, Cityworks, and SeeClickFix 311 application.
- Supervises interns, other staff and/or temporary employees designated to assist with GIS efforts in data collection, GIS/ GPS duties.
- Other duties as assigned
- Networks with GIS counterparts in other jurisdictions, participates in government and community groups, committees and organizations relative to GIS programs and capabilities on behalf of the city
- Conducts research, analysis, surveys, and prepares staff reports on a variety of special projects
- Assist in reviewing responses to requests for proposals to provide input and recommendations
- Review, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations
- Assists with content management and other projects involving the City's website.
- Assists IT staff with database management and other technical functions
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities include:
- Municipal government policies, procedures, and structure; and applicable local, state, and federal laws, codes, regulations, and ordinances
- Advanced understanding of property ownership (cadastral) surveying principles
- Experience with reading engineering drawings as it relates to stormwater system assets
- ESRI’s core GIS software products (ArcGIS desktop/Server, ArcSDE [SQL] and other relevant products.
- Cartography and map design using ESRI desktop software
- Advanced knowledge of ArcGIS Server services including the creation and maintenance of map services, feature services, and geoprocessing services in order to support mapping applications and business applications utilized throughout the city.
- Experience with asset management software including but not limited to Cityworks AMS and the administration of these types of application as they relate to GIS services and their consumption of these services in order to track maintenance of assets throughout a city.
- Experience with SeeClickFix administration and its use as a front-facing tool for citizen reporting into Cityworks AMS.
- Design principles, implementation processes and management practices needed to establish and maintain ArcGIS based geospatial databases
- Advanced understanding of databases.
- Experience with geospatial databases including MS SQL Server utilizing ArcSDE for storing of enterprise GIS data.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office products
- Understand and have experience with various GPS equipment and operations, including Trimble GPS units with TerraSync software and post-processing GPS collected data for GIS using Pathfinder Office software.
- Ability to work with high degree of autonomy and high level of personal integrity
- Ability to provide and collect information, coordinate projects, activities, solve problems and negotiate solutions with city staff at every level
- Principles and practices of effective time management and supervision techniques, including: staffing, training, coaching, directing, coordinating and evaluating
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science, Land Use Planning, Engineering, Surveying, Geography (including Cartography), or other related disciplines - OR-
- A combination of degree(s) and/or certificate(s) will be considered, supplemented by a minimum of six years’ professional-level experience in the design, development, implementation and administration of geographic information systems, including analysis and database development/integration
- Valid Washington Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one by start of employment
- Must be insurable by the City’s insurance carrier
- All staff positions at the City are required to be available to report to work during off hours in case of emergency and perform duties as assigned
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- Primary work is performed in office setting and in the field gathering data
- bility and willingness to work in adverse field conditions, including rough terrain and inclement
- Office environment: walking standing, and lifting records, boxes and objects up to 50 pounds; fine motor skills; auditory, verbal and visual ability
- Outdoors environment: ability to negotiate safely in a traffic environment or the rough terrain of a construction site
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.