Under general direction, serve as Manager of CRW’s Geographic Information System (GIS) activities; manage GIS system for Engineering, Operations, and Maintenance of Drinking Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater Management facilities. Review/recommend/approve/develop improvements in system procedures and technologies; coordinate and complete data updates; coordinate efforts across departments; interface with field and office staff to promote an integrated approach to Capital Region Water’s (CRW’s) programs and projects; administer CRW’s PA-One Call Design program; support property data needs of CRW Finance Department for service billing; oversee the daily activities of CRW’s GIS Analyst. Interface with City of Harrisburg, Tri-County Planning and Dauphin County GIS Departments. Support CRW’s Asset Management program and Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS – Cityworks). Serve as GIS system (ESRI ArcGIS) administrator.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITES & FUNCTIONS
- Plan, schedule, and budget five-year capital improvements for GIS system and any other related systems.
- Prepare “Request for Proposals” to obtain goods and services for CRW’s GIS projects; gather and compile information; review bids with Consultants and provide recommendations to Engineering Director and/or Board.
- Solicit, review, and manage support contracts for all GIS technologies and equipment.
- Collaborate with various departments including Administrative, Engineering and Operations to provide training and staff development on GIS . Adapt and implement technologies to the drinking water, wastewater, and stormwater industry.
- Manage and oversee the workload and daily activities of CRW’s GIS Analyst.
- Prepare monthly department progress reports to Engineering Director. Attend meetings as necessary to provide input, advice and recommendations on decisions relative to GIS and
- Asset Management policy, procedures, standards, and projects. Interface with various members of CRW, the City, and/or Public; may serve as lead staff person on particular projects.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Comprehensive knowledge of GIS, CMMS and Asset Management.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Comprehensive knowledge of computer hardware and local area networks.
- Thorough knowledge of interpreting plans, record drawings, and blueprints.
- Excellent technical and communication skills.
- Project management.
- Problem solving.
- Communicate effectively and cooperate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to analyze needs, research options and present well-prepared and concise recommendations.
- Ability to operate a computer for extended periods of time.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. degree in Geography, GIS, Computer Science, or other related field and five plus (5+) years of experience in the GIS profession.
- Extensive experience with ESRI's ArcGIS programs preferably in the drinking water, wastewater, and stormwater management fields.
- Experience with Asset Management programs and integration with ESRI's GIS programs.
- Following experience is a plus, but not required: Certified GIS Professional (GISP), programming skills, prior Municipal or Authority experience, experience with GPS data collection and integration.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & EQUIPMENT USED:
- Office & field environment; sitting for periods of time in front of a computer monitor and traveling within CRW’s service areas.
- Travel locally to CRW’s facilities.
- Occasional lifting of boxes 5 – 45 lbs.
- Equipment used will include: personal computer, printer, copier, fax machine, document scanner, as well as other general office equipment.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.