Under the general direction of the ITS Director, designs, manages, implements, and uses City
Geographical Information System and maps. Applies principles of logical and scientific thinking and Influence systems to define tasks, collect data and interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagrammatic form and to instruct others in system use. Work is performed with limited direction and considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work, addressing complaints, and resolving problems. Responsible for instructing other City personnel in the operation of GIS System.
- Researches Geographic Information Systems (GIS) needs of all City Departments; translates
- GIS requirements into logical, economical and practical system design.
- Maintains, updates, GIS databases and ArcGIS Web Servers for the City of Fort Myers.
- Coordinates GIS needs for updating and replication of GIS services within the City of Fort Myers departments.
- Coordinates Public Safety needs of GIS with Fort Myers Police and Fire Departments. Assists public safety end users with geo-spatial technologies, including application training
- Controls the dissemination of open public datasets for GIS.
- Designs, creates, and deploys web applications and surveys for use in all departments.
- Administers the City of Fort Myers online systems.
- Assists and implements City EOC GIS (Damage Assessment) software before during and after hazard events.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of design specifications for the 'geographic systems database to ensure overall system compatibility.
- Maintains and/or enhances database structures and data collection methodology.
- Serves as Geo database and Server database administrator.
- Develops GIS operating policies, procedures, standards, quality control and data verification procedures, and data security methods.
- Establishes a system control and security maintenance plan for protecting database integrity; identifies data errors and makes modification/corrections as appropriate.
- Structures and codes computer programs for automation/enhancement to GIS operations, data, conversion, and data expansion.
- Provides input into the GIS operating budget, and monitors cost/expenditures to ensure adherence to such, as well as established departmental/City goals and objectives.
- Provides input into contracts for professional services, to include notice to precede, verification of deliverables.
- Maintains current knowledge of trends and developments in the field of geographic information systems.
- Develops, tests, and implements procedures to accomplish goals and objectives of the City with respect to geographic information systems development and maintenance.
- Confers with vendors in evaluating equipment, software, products, cost factors, and utility; develops specifications for purchase requisitions.
- Researches, evaluates and provides recommendation for new system equipment or software for management and end users.
- Receives reviews, prepares and/or submits various records and reports including graphs, maps, charts, terminal studies, flow charts, architectural drawings, engineering drawings and surveys, letters and newspaper copy.
- Operates a variety of computers and file servers, Global Positioning System, and other equipment, surveying, tablet computers, and other hand held cellular devices.
- Will occasionally require driving a motor vehicle to accomplish tasks.
- This position requires regular and reliable attendance and the employee's physical presence at the workplace
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software.
- Knowledge and skill in automating and maintaining geographic datasets using ESRI GIS software and skill in operating related peripherals such as GPS hardware and large format plotters.
- Knowledge of, and ability to create, complex queries using the SQL & Python query language.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements and their potential business influence from an information security standpoint.
- Knowledge of effective supervisory principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of operating system platforms and security architecture.
- Skill in data extraction
- Skill in written, verbal, electronic, and visual communications for effective expression and clarity
- Skill in critical thinking, analysis and problem-solving, specifically related to data quality and GIS processes
- Skill in organization, prioritization, and time management
- Skill in the operation of various computer or other electronic devices.
- Ability to speak and document clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to operate necessary equipment, including
- Ability to use GIS system to digitize, store, maintain and retrieve both cartographic and database data, knowledge of mapping, surveying and construction terminology.
- Ability to apply sound judgment and interpretation based on acquired knowledge in circumstances where limited standardization exists.
- Ability to be adaptable to performing under frequent deadlines and or in response to emergencies.
- Ability to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to resolve problems.
- Ability to perform effective systems analysis for user requests to determine gest, most cost-effective solution addressing needs.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in in Urban Planning, Computer Science, Geography, Geographic Information System or related field where demonstrated education in the theory, use and practical applications of GIS or GIS Management. Additionally, five (5) years of progressively responsible experience.
- Must possess a valid Florida Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
- Must be able to pass Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) background check.
- GISP certification preferred
- ESRI certification preferred
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.