Rincon Consultants, Inc. is seeking a GIS Intern who will support staff using geographic information systems (GIS) databases and tools; populating and cleaning GIS datasets, generates custom and standard maps, spatial analyses and other GIS products to meet customer requirements; utilizes GIS tools and utilities to convert data to GIS formats and performs data quality checking and correction.
This position is anticipated, but not guaranteed, to be 20 hours per week depending on availability and workload.
What Do You Get To Do In This Position:
- Formats and generates a variety of GIS products including standard and custom maps and map series, standard map templates, shape files, graphics, tables and reports; uses cartographic and design principles to include legends, insets and reference information.
- Extracts, searches for, and organizes data. Performs quality control operations to ensure the accuracy and completeness of all data; researches source documents and/or coordinates with others to resolve missing or conflicting data and other anomalies.
- Performs spatial analyses such as buffering, spatial overlays and distance calculations using established methods and procedures.
- Maintains, updates and designs shape files and geospatial databases; extracts, cleans, adjusts and converts data and information from non-GIS systems into GIS formats; uses scripts, queries and other tools to obtain and/or correct missing or incorrect spatial and attribute data.
- Participates in developing and implementing queries, scripts and instructions of moderate difficulty.
- Assists in the design, development, testing and implementation of GIS applications to meet customer needs and enterprise requirements.
- Maintains clean, organized, and well-designed file structures for both spatial and non-spatial data.
This Job Might Be For You If You Have The Following:
- A minimum of one (1) year of experience using standard GIS tools and utilities to enter and correct data in GIS databases and provide other technical support for GIS systems and generation of cartographic maps and GIS products
- Knowledge of GIS software tools and applications including but not limited to ArcGIS,
- AutoCAD, Adobe (Acrobat/Photoshop/Illustrator) and applications within the MS Office Suite.
- Understand, analyze and define user requirements and recommend cost effective systems solutions.
- Organize, plan and complete projects efficiently.
- Must be enthusiastic and self-disciplined with excellent communication skills.
- IT/Networking/Hardware/General Desktop Support and Troubleshooting.
- Knowledge and experience implementing geodatabase and metadata standards
- Cartographic/Database/Graphic Design Web Development/Enterprise GIS/Web Mapping Applications - knowledge of Java, PHP, HTML, COM and programming experience in Python is a plus.
Rincon Consultants, Inc does not accept unsolicited applicant/candidate resumes from search firm recruiters and/or temporary agencies that do not have a signed contract and specified work order with Rincon Consultants. Further, such resumes received will be deemed the sole property of Rincon Consultants and no fees will be paid in the event Rincon Consultants subsequently hires such individual. Rincon Consultants is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.