New Braunfels Utilities (NBU) is seeking an individual for the temporary position of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Intern. This position will be responsible for assisting the GIS staff developing and maintaining GIS data, creating maps, conducting research, and performing basic GIS analysis. Work is performed in accordance with well-prescribed procedures and defined objectives under close technical and methodological supervision.
- Some basic responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create maps and graphs, using ArcGIS software
- Enter new map data using the principles of cartography including coordinate systems, longitude, latitude, elevation, topography, and map scales
- Analyze geographic relationships among varying types of data
- Read and interpret basic civil engineering as-built drawings
- Be proficient with computer hardware and software including Microsoft Office, email, and internet browser programs
- Assists GIS staff as required
- Some College
- Field of Study - Geography
- Applicants must possess a high school diploma or equivalent, a valid driver’s license, and have completed or be enrolled in a recognized curriculum at an institution of higher education in Geographical Information Systems or closely related program.
- A valid Texas Driver’s License is required to operate a company vehicle when necessary.
OTHER MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of ESRI’s ArcGIS software required
- Familiarity with basic cartography/map design principles
- Ability to work independently
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.