This position will perform GIS database administration tasks and projects in an enterprise environment, and will work within a team of system administrators, system analysts, GIS developers, GIS analysts and GIS project managers in the Enterprise Geographic Information System (EGIS) Section within the Geospatial and Land Acquisition Services Department. This position will work with enterprise spatial databases, including maintaining database security and appropriate documentation, and will work with system administrators to ensure the Enterprise GIS functions as intended.
This position requires an individual who is motivated to stay current on the recent changes in technology that support/enhance GIS, possess good communication and troubleshooting skills, and the desire to work in a dynamic environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform GIS database administration and maintenance functions utilizing Microsoft SQL Server, Server for ArcGIS, and/or ArcGIS Desktop. This includes indexing, compressing, and other database maintenance tasks to ensure a highly available enterprise environment.
- Installs and maintains development, staging and production databases. Ensures that version upgrades, tuning, and/or patches are installed as needed.
- Manages geodatabase schemas, security, user accounts, database replication, and versions.
- Plan and implement data system automation, test procedures, system backups and database archive operations in coordination with the Information and Innovation Office.
- Works with GIS Developers and Systems Administrators to develop web-based mapping applications and other GIS solutions.
- Monitor database system/server performance in coordination with other System Administrators utilizing various system tools or scripts, including System Monitor for ArcGIS. Identify, test, and resolve complex database issues as they are discovered.
- Works with System Administrators to ensure all system tiers are synchronized between staging, production, and disaster recovery.
- Create and maintain documentation and Standard Operating Procedures. Define, recommend, and develop database standards, including ensuring that all enterprise data meets the minimum metadata requirements.
- Develop process improvements and automation, where appropriate.
- May assume the authority of, and acts on behalf of, a more senior official.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Experienced (at least 2 years) in Esri ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Enterprise/Portal, and ArcGIS Desktop projects (including ArcGIS Pro).
- Experienced working with data in an enterprise SDE database.
- Experienced working with Esri ArcGIS Online, Collector, Survey123 or Workforce.
- Knowledge of spatial analysis methods and geoprocessing tools.
- Familiar with cartographic best practices.
- Broad conceptual knowledge of GIS methodologies and workflows.
- Knowledge of computer systems, operating systems, network security configurations, database management, and web platforms.
- Familiar with other programming languages, such as XML or .NET, that may enhance development tasks.
- Familiarity using SQL Server Management Studio.
- Ability to work in a team environment and provide excellence customer service.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical staff.
- Ability and desire to troubleshoot hardware/software technical issues associated with GIS systems.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time spent on projects and tasks in order to meet deadlines.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing to end-users, vendors, management, and peers.
Graduation from an accredited four year degree granting college or university with a Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Technology, Geography/GIS, or other related fields; And Two years of experience as a GIS Database Administrator. OR
A Master's Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Technology, Geography, or other related fields; And One year of experience as a GIS Developer. OR
An Associate's Degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Technology, Geography, or other related fields; And Three years of experience as a GIS Developer. OR
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate; And Five years of experience directly related to the position duties.
HOW TO APPLY:
To view the complete position details and apply, visit the Hillsborough County website.
Link to Apply
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.