The GIS Coordinator will manage and maintain an enterprise Geographic Information System (GIS) environment ensuring that GIS data becomes the central repository of spatial and tabular data for the City feeding the City's enterprise applications and/or line of business applications.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & SUCCESS FACTORS
(Order of Essential Functions does not indicate importance of functions.)
- Researches, analyzes, develops, and maintains a city-wide GIS system coordinating and administering core GIS database management, system maintenance, programming and customization.
- Develops, reviews, plans, supervises, trains and performs activities related to the development, implementation and maintenance of the City's GIS.
- Researches, develops and maintains various software applications, programs, automated GIS tools and products.
- Oversees operation of and performs data collection using Global Position System equipment.
- Reviews and coordinates acquisitions of data, mapping products and services from outside vendors and organizations.
- Assists City departments with GIS related activities and attends various City meetings as directed.
- Assist in budget preparation pertaining to GIS, including hardware, software and training.
- Performs other duties or assumes other responsibilities as apparent or assigned.
- Take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a systematic approach to decision making; to identify the important dimensions of a problem, determine potential causes, obtain relevant information and specify alternate solutions that result in effectiveness.
- Establish and carry out specific courses of action for self and/or groups by organizing and prioritizing tasks.
- Create and participate in a team environment.
- Adapt to a work environment that will change day to day requiring quick departure, and reorganization of one's schedule.
- Ability to train, motivate and monitor the effective work of staff.
- Demonstrate sound time-management skills by effectively or efficiently organizing, prioritizing, and completing multiple assignments in a timely manner.
- Contribute to overall City effectiveness by providing critical staff support to task forces and by participating, as necessary, in assisting all other teams.
- Attentive to the City's standards for customer service, accuracy, quality, efficiency and all City policies and procedures ensuring that that all work performed and all staff members meet those standards while exhibiting consistent treatment of all staff.
- Bachelor's Degree in GIS, Civil Engineering, Planning, Computer Science, Geography or related field.
- GIS Certificate preferred.
- Minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience performing coordination of geographic mapping, planning and GIS data maintenance and analysis.
- GIS experience required, with prior experience in Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) platforms required
- Computer Aided Design (CAD) experience preferred.
- Must possess a Valid Iowa Driver's License within 30 days and meet the requirements of the
- City's motor vehicle policy.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
- Position requires lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Able to function productively in a standard office environment accessing cabinets, shelving, work areas and office equipment.
- Able to maneuver in undeveloped areas on uneven surfaces for up to two miles in various types of weather.
- Physical ability to install computer hardware, software, and other related equipment and troubleshoot problems.
- Continuous mental and visual concentration requiring attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time and to maintain focus on project such as computer screen or detailed paperwork.
- Able to effectively communicate orally (in person and over the telephone and in writing using electronic devices and handwritten) in English with other employees, vendors and the community.
- Climate controlled office with hazards typical to that environment.
- Position requires outdoor work where heat, cold, precipitation, and the results of weather and nature may be encountered.
- Position requires travel within and outside of the City which imposes common travel hazards.
- Standard work hours will be Monday – Friday 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM with occasional hours including weekends and evenings as required.
- To successfully fulfill the essential functions of this position, employee must maintain standard work hours within Waukee Public Works Building.
- There is no residency requirement for this position.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.