Under the direction of the Public Works Director and City Engineer, plans and coordinates the GIS activities and operations of the Public Works Department; coordinates assigned activities with other departments and divisions, outside agencies and the general public; and provides staff assistance as needed.
Essential Task Functions:
- Promotes and follows the City's mission statement, values and expectations.
- Coordinates the organization and operational activities for the GIS program within the Public Works Department.
- Coordinates with the Information Technology Department (GIS Administrator) for necessary organizational and operational tasks and activities related to the GIS program.
- Participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for the Public Works Department; identifies resources needed and implements policies and procedures.
- Identifies opportunities for improving service and delivery methods; reviews with management and staff, and implements established procedures.
- Creates and maintains the Public Works Department utility and database system as needed. Assists in the development and implementation of the Public Works Department asset management program.
- Creates and maintains hard-copy and digital maps utilized by the Public Works Department (utility, infrastructure, subdivision, master plan, capital projects, etc.) as needed.
- Creates applications and tools utilizing Layton City's GIS systems to assist Public Works Department staff in operational activities.
- Creates and maintains digital data in the City GIS system, converting hard copy, and other data into digital formats.
- Design and system management of complex mapping programs. Develop, program and maintain Web applications for utilizing Layton City's GIS systems. Assist in other Web applications in conjunction with the Information Technology Department. Desire for position to use complex array of programming languages including PHP, Java script, HTML5 and other programming languages. Author and produce ArcGIS Services for ArcGIS Online, and other Layton City applications. Customize applications based upon the needs of Public Works Department staff. Work closely with software developers to provide and program interface for the efficient display of database information in GIS system using ESRI suite of programs. Train and assist Public Works Department staff in Web applications and maintenance.
- Assist in the design, programming and implementation of user programs for complex electronic mapping and relational databases. Prepares complex plats and maps for everyday GIS functions. Assists in preparing and editing spatial data for Layton City's GIS system. Assists in the maintenance of SDE (ESRI's Spatial Database Engine). Coordinate with supervisors, and end users to ensure GIS needs are being met. Assist in the maintenance of GIS datasets and other GIS related files.
- Performs data collection duties, including land use and other survey work.
- Collects GIS data using GPS equipment.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from college with a bachelor's degree in GIS, Geography, Cartography or a closely related field;
Three (3) years of responsible experience performing above or related duties;
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the latest version of ArcGIS along with earlier versions and other related software; GIS database applications including working knowledge of Microsoft SQL, Access and other database applications.
- Working knowledge of the latest version of AutoCAD along with earlier versions and other related software.
- Knowledge of and ability to read and utilize construction drawings and blue prints.
- Knowledge of and experience using ESRI database applications including ARC SDE, and ArcIMS. Experience implementing an Enterprise GIS system.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, methods and computer equipment; basic principles and procedures of data entry and analysis; GPS field data collection, correction, processing and mapping; word processing techniques and programs including spreadsheet and database operations.
- Skill in the art of diplomacy and cooperative problem solving
- Ability to learn and operate GPS devices, printers, plotters and modern office equipment; prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Exposure or familiarity with development systems listed below:
- ArcGIS Server REST Services
- ArcGIS Online
Tasks require a variety of physical activities not generally involving muscular strain. Physical demands may occur in activities related to walking, standing, stooping, sitting, reaching, etc. Talking, hearing and seeing required in the daily performance of job duties. Mental application utilizes memory for details, emotional stability and discriminating thinking and creative problem solving. Periodic travel required in course of performing portions of job functions. Frequent local area travel required in the normal course of performing job duties.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.