A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you’re interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
What We Offer:
- Impact - The work you do here matters to millions.
- Growth - Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
- Diversity & Inclusion - Find a career in a place where everyone belongs
- Benefits - We care about your well being
The Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) is responsible for the processing and treatment of drinking water, waste water, and storm water in the City of Philadelphia. PWD employs approximately 2200 people across 16 sites throughout the City.
Under limited supervision, the developer is responsible for the design, implementation and development of the multi-tiered enterprise GIS system maintained by the Philadelphia Water Department’s GIS unit. This person helps steer the design and implementation of the overall architecture of the application suite of the GIS Unit, which includes off-the-shelf software components, and custom developed applications. This person is also actively involved in the in-house development of software components in support of low-level system administration tasks, middle-tier web service components, and front-end application development for web and mobile environment.
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of PWD’s ArcGIS Enterprise (portal) and ArcGIS Online applications.
- Will help coordinate the implementation of short- and long-term projects, objectives, policies and procedures for the production and maintenance of all enterprise geospatial application development related projects.
- Develop software – primarily for the web, but also for data ETL processes and system admin tools
- Develop and maintain enterprise web services that support mobile solutions and rich internet applications
- Design and edit custom queries, scripts, macros and other methods to meet customer needs.
- Proactively identify application inefficiencies and propose solutions.
- Identify, create, and maintain development frameworks and code libraries.
- Work closely with the team members to develop quality assurance documentation and test plans.
- Optimize application delivery and performance, and continuously improve system availability.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of ArcGIS Server product suite (10.0 and up) and strong knowledge of ArcGIS Server client APIs is preferred.
- Experience consuming and creating APIs with RESTful design patterns Strong data modeling skills, and experience with querying relational databases such as SQL Server or Oracle.
- Working knowledge of IIS web server administration: application pool tuning, SSL encryption, ASP.NET configuration
- Demonstrated experience with programming low-level applications in support of Windows system administration such as windows services, .bat scripting, console projects
- ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6 and later
- Oracle Database Server (10g and 11g), or SQL Server 2008, 2014
- Feature Manipulation Engine (FME)
- Windows Server 2008, IIS 7 and above
- Application Architecture
- Application Lifecycle Management
- Agile Methodologies
- RESTful Web Services
- Information Architecture
- Web standards
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.