This position will perform complex full-performance spatial GIS data entry and maintenance, spatial analysis, cartographic map production, and produce relevant documentation for simple and complex GIS information products in response to departmental and public requests.
The ideal candidate would possess a high level of critical thinking, ability to follow documented procedures, a very strong working technical knowledge using ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, and AutoCAD specifically for data creation, editing, analysis, and map production in a multi-user enterprise geodatabase. This position requires the ability to read general correspondence, documents, computer technical manuals, addressing technical standards, civil engineering plans, symbols and terminology with emphasis on land surveys, preliminary/final site plans, MOD, PUD, and as-built drawings of water, wastewater, storm drain, and reclaimed water systems. Must possess the ability to clearly present technical material and write general correspondence, memorandums, reports, GIS/CAD procedures, and letters. A specific vocational, administrative, or technical degree in Geography, Urban Planning, Engineering, GIS, Computer Science, Information Technology, which may be obtained with a two-year associate's degree, diploma or equivalent from a college, technical, business, vocational, or correspondence school along with at least (2) years of professional hands-on GIS analyst experience is required.
At the City of Goodyear, you will be a part of an organization that values its employees as its greatest asset. You will become part of a dedicated team of professionals that are committed to build and maintain a highly engaged workforce. You will be challenged to learn and grow in an environment that values employee development and career-building. You will thrive in a culture of innovation. We believe that successful employees are those that possess these six core values:
Adaptability - Integrity - Initiative - Empathy - Optimism – Innovation
Only a limited number of the most qualified applicants meeting the City's requirements will be invited for an interview. The examination process for this position will consist of a panel interview.
Selected candidates will be required to pass a comprehensive background investigation to include:
After successful completion of the testing process, selected applicants continuing in the process will be given a background packet to complete and will be interviewed by a background investigator.
The City of Goodyear Police Department will automatically disqualify any individual who has at any time:
- Been convicted of a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona
- Been dishonorably discharged from the United States armed forces
- Illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported marijuana for sale
- Illegally used marijuana for any purpose within the past two years
- Illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic, other than marijuana, for any purpose within the past five years
- Exhibited a pattern of abusing prescription medication
- Lied during any stage of the hiring process, falsified any information on the application or background questionnaire
During the background investigation, applicants will be given a polygraph examination administered by a qualified, state licensed police polygraph examiner. The examination will cover criminal activity, drug usage, truthfulness, integrity and employment history.
- Formal Education/Knowledge: Work requires broad knowledge in a general professional or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- Experience: Minimum of two years of experience in a related field.
- Certifications and Other Requirements: Valid Driver's License.
- Reading: Work requires the ability to read and understand complex legal descriptions, technical manuals, and other manuals as required.
- Math: Work requires the ability to perform geometric or trigonometric calculations in order to solve a problem. Will frequently need to perform basic arithmetic and statistical operations.
- Writing: Work requires the ability to write documentation for complex systems including user's manuals, reports, and procedural papers.
- Managerial: Semi-Complex - Work requires functioning as a lead worker performing essentially the same work as those directed, and includes overseeing work quality, training, instructing, and scheduling work.
- Policy/Decision Making: Moderate - The employee normally performs the job by following established standard operating procedures and/or policies. There is a choice of the appropriate procedure or policy to apply to duties. More complex work as well as decisions with more significant impacts are typically reviewed prior to being finalized.
- Budget Responsibility: Has no budgetary responsibility.
- Technical Skills: Comprehensive Application - Work requires a comprehensive, practical knowledge of a technical field with use of analytical judgment and decision-making abilities appropriate to the work environment of the organization.
- Interpersonal/Human Relations Skills: Moderate - In addition to the sharing of information, interactions at this level may also include providing advice to others outside direct reporting relationships on specific problems or general policies/procedures. In many of the interactions, contacts may require the consideration of different points of view to reach agreement.
- Elements of persuasion may be necessary to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas.
This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The following functions do not identify all duties performed by the incumbent. Other duties and responsibilities will be performed as assigned.
- Integrates GIS with existing or new City systems and processes by identifying possible uses of GIS within City systems and processes; working with clients to define needs and manage expectations; and developing special aspects of data collection, analysis, or dissemination to successfully integrate these systems.
- Designs and develops GIS application procedures and programs as required; tests procedures and programs to assure that desired results are achieved; and makes necessary changes to correct deficiencies.
- Assist in management of GIS data or the maintenance of data quality assurance and quality control standards.
- Performs moderate to complex GIS analytical and geoprocessing functions, including input, editing, manipulation, management, analysis and output of spatial and tabular data sets.
- Meet and communicate effectively with internal users, vendors, and consultants in determining most appropriate approach in providing GIS functionality.
- Operates GIS computer equipment, such as workstations, printers, plotters, wide format scanners, and GPS units as required.
- Creates appropriate documentation of designed or integrated systems; assist with development of training and help documents; provide training and technical support as needed.
- Assists in geodatabase design and implementation by using available data modeling, programming, and management tools to implement and maintain GIS database applications.
- Serves as backup in GIS systems administration by assisting the GIS Coordinator in managing GIS hardware and software assets including intranet server and SQL Server database server.
First Year Performance Objectives
Within three months:
- At the start of each week organize and plan your daily work activities for the week estimate time to complete for each work task and update GIS support tickets with your progress.
- Present your work plan each week at our GIS team stand up meetings.
- Maintains, updates, the land base data layers (parcels, streets, ROW, MOD, MLD, easements buildings, boundaries, zoning, parks data layers in the City’s geographical information system (GIS). Reads and interprets source documents such as engineering plans, plat maps, site plans and legal descriptions; updates GIS databases from source documents.
- Performs quality control of attribute information; conducts verification and identification of makes necessary error corrections after peer review; makes recommendations for improvements and upgrades to GIS processes, maps, software, and website.
- Assist in the maintenance and updating of the City’s digital record drawing database for construction plans, plats, and site plans.
Within six months:
- Continue all tasks defined in the 3-month objective
- Performing QA/QC all on all data layers and documenting them process in standard operating procedures.
- Update the zoning cases feature data layer and procedures for keeping it up to date.
- Complete metadata entry for all GIS data layers.
- Accomplish service requests for assigned projects.
Within twelve months:
- Continue all tasks defined in the 3 and 6 month objective
- Complete service request related to cartographic map creation following city GIS standards.
- Complete service requests related to basic GIS analysis.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.