SUMMARY: Responsible for maintaining the City GIS (Geographic Information System) system; provides excellent customer service in assisting departments in the use of GIS and assures the integrity and security of the database.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assures the integrity, security and performance of GIS program.
- Maintains GIS data with other City departments and outside agencies.
- Maintains component layers and structure of spatial data.
- Acquires, exchanges, shares and integrates digital data.
- Operates and maintains GIS, including components of the system database, system hardware and software, and system design.
- Maintains the master reference grid that contains geodetic control points used for registering geographic data.
- Follows quality control standards for GIS data layers for City departments and other agencies; follows procedures to reduce system errors and enhance system functionality and stability.
- Analyzes component layers and structure of multi-layered digital spatial GIS data sets; programs application modifications and enhancements to manipulate, integrate and compile data.
- Updates and maintains the GIS database; cleans up and corrects data and new integrated data sets.
- Compiles geographic data from a variety of sources; scans, rectifies, and digitizes data; edits and refines GIS data, and updates database; performs quality control checks to assure data integrity.
- Provides technical support and assistance to City staff; analyzes GIS problems and implements solutions according to standards, guidelines and procedures.
- Build and maintain strong, effective working relationships with internal support teams, peers, vendors and customers as it deals with the City’s technical infrastructure. Develop, coordinate and implement the objectives of the department including performance measures and service improvements.
- Maintain compliance with external regulatory controls, such as the Texas Department of Information Resources.
- Participates in a variety of special projects in support of departmental operations, which may include performing special studies; providing guidance and recommendations to departments to ensure organizational sustainability and maximize organizational efficiency, effectiveness, and performance; recommending cost- conscious decisions and actions; and/or, performing other related activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned, which may involve irregular work hours, including evenings and weekends.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of principles of land planning, mapping, global positioning systems, and aerial orthophotography
- Knowledge of theory, principles and practices of GIS, including data compilation and conversion, database management systems, graphics applications and overlays, and spatial models for computer analysis.
- Knowledge of public safety GIS reporting requirements
- Knowledge of disaster and business recovery practices
- Knowledge of government operations and processes
- Skilled in Using GIS - Esri software suite programs and application programming languages
- Skilled in ESRI’s ArcGIS suite of products including ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Apps
- Skilled in customer service to departments in using GIS to address business issues
- Skilled in understanding and working with data from multiple public and private sources
- Skilled in the interpretation of GIS data, aerial photographs, and maps
- Skilled in tracking service call and installations
- Skilled in identifying and solving problems
- Skilled in documenting service outages and resolutions
- Skilled in working independently or part of a team in delivering excellent customer service
- Skilled in reading and interpreting technical documents
- Skilled in applying independent judgment, personal discretion, and resourcefulness in interpreting and applying guidelines
- Skilled in reading, interpreting, applying, authoring and explaining rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Skilled in preparing clear and concise reports
- Skilled in gathering and analyzing information and making recommendations based on findings and in support of organizational goals
- Skilled in operating a computer and related software applications
- Skilled in communicating effectively with a variety of individuals
- Ability to communicate with users to define system requirements and resolve problems
- Ability to analyze technical problems and develop workable solutions
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Geographic Information Systems or related area of study
1 year of progressively responsible Geographic Information Systems technology experience
- Must qualify for and maintain compliance with Criminal Justice Information Systems access requirements
- Must possess or be able to obtain and maintain a valid Texas driver’s license
- 1-3 years’ of progressively responsible Geographic Information Systems technology experience
- Hold one or more of the following certifications (or substantially similar):
- Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc. (ESRI) professional certification (Desktop, Developer, or Enterprise)
- Frequent reaching, sitting, talking, seeing, hearing, and manual dexterity
- Occasional climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, and crouching
- Sedentary office and outdoors work environments
- Occasional lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds
- Work may be performed in a data-center environment, involving loud noise and temperature irregularity
- Work both indoors and outdoors and are exposed to cold and hot temperatures, constant noise, fume/odor hazards, road hazards, heights, and mechanical and electrical hazards.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must pass pre-employment drug test.
- Must pass criminal history check.
- Must pass motor vehicle records check.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.