Works with City departments in the development and maintenance of high-level Geographical Information Services (GIS) data and systems.
- May provide training, coaching, assign tasks and monitor quality and quantity of work for GIS Analysts, GIS Technicians, and interns.
- Performs complex data analysis using ArcGIS and related extensions/add-ons, relational databases, and other computer software; understands and can apply the capabilities of GIS, databases, and other computer programs to solve complex spatial and relational problems.
- Designs and implements GIS and relational databases in various formats.
- Designs and implements custom applications both for the desktop and the internet.
- Conducts data analysis and preparation of documents, data reports, and maps.
- Ensures that accurate and complete metadata are developed for all data sets created by GIS staff and that metadata is distributed with data when requested by outside agencies.
- Serves as a working project manager for projects and programs.
- Monitors and analyzes project and programmatic credits.
- Participates in agency audit as needed.
- Works in a team setting with other staff members to identify effective ways to complete various planning projects and outreach efforts.
- Scopes and reviews the technical work of consultants, contracting agencies, and other organizations as appropriate.
- Assists with scoping GIS projects.
- Participates in developing grant proposals which include a GIS or data component.
- Provides recommendations for project personnel, hardware, software, data, budget, and scheduling.
- Communicates complex technical issues both verbally and in writing to non-technical GIS users.
- Serves as a technical representative on intergovernmental committees.
- Provides technical expertise to appointed committees, agency staff, other agencies, and the public.
- Responds to public inquiries with data and information.
- Coordinates with other staff to develop materials needed for public meetings, workgroups, council meetings, and other meetings as needed.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Geography, Math, Urban Planning or a related GIS field is required.
3 years of experience in the GIS field. Possession of an advanced degree may substitute for two years of the experience required.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) Software.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS Server.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS Online, Web Apps, Widgets, Analysis and Dashboards.
- Knowledge of the Enterprise Geodatabase, create new layers, domains, versioning, post, reconcile.
- Knowledge of SQL (T-SQL, procedures, views, functions)
- Knowledge of Geospatial Data Analysis, Spatial Analyst, Business Analyst, and Dashboards
- Knowledge of Geographic Information System concepts, design methods, procedures, techniques and methodology; complex principles and practices of record keeping; algebra, geometry, and trigonometry as applied to routine GIS computations.
- Knowledge of current versions of Computer Aided Design software (CAD), spreadsheets, word processing, database management, and graphics software in a Windows environment.
- Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Ability to follow instructions, safety practices and standard operating procedures in performing assigned tasks.
- Ability to be punctual and attend work regularly
- Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read engineering plans, site plans and as-builts.
- Ability to design and implement GIS data layers.
- Ability to analyze and present GIS information in order to demonstrate underlying trends in the information.
- Skill in use of personal computer including Microsoft Office, Open Office or similar word processing programs, e-mail and the internet.
- Skill in operating and properly utilizing a variety of office equipment including plotters, large format scanners, computers and peripheral equipment and printers.
- Skill in SQL and basic programming skills.
Monday to Thursday: 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM; Fridays: 7:30 AM - 11:30AM
- Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Must possess a valid State of Texas Drivers License Class "C" and good driving record as defined by City policy.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.