This position creates, maintains, analyzes, interprets, and distributes spatial data to support conservation in Pennsylvania. It manages multiple large spatial datasets used by government agencies, businesses, and non-profit organizations.
The position arises from the shared interest of the Pennsylvania Land Trust Association (PALTA) and the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) in establishing and updating resources that shed light on conservation activities and facilitate strategic conservation action. The GIS Analyst works closely with a team of PALTA and DCNR staff and reports directly to PALTA’s executive director. The position will be located in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Maintain, update, and improve large spatial databases, including:
- PA Conserved Land, Pennsylvania’s official GIS database of protectedproperties.
- Multi-agency Keystone Fund and Environmental Stewardship Fund grant tracking databases.
- Organization service areas for more than 600 non-profit conservation groups.
- Identify and act on new opportunities to use GIS to support conservation efforts in Pennsylvania.
- Perform complex spatial analyses and modeling. Publish results as appropriate in reports, presentations, open data sites, and web applications.
- Design new and update existing print maps and web applications.
- Maintain DCNR and PALTA’s database of county tax parcel layers.
- Conduct the biennial land trust census to track conservation accomplishments.
- Create new conservation spatial databases as needed, including a Delware River Basin
- Conserved Land database.
- Support follow-up work on the Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP) and planning the development and applications of the statewide trail database.
- Provide GIS-related support to PALTA and DCNR Bureau or Recreation and Conservation projects.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in geography, GIS, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience with GIS software.
- Demonstrated experience managing large spatial databases.
- Demonstrated proficiency with ArcGIS desktop software, including ArcGIS Pro.
- Superb organizational skills, thoroughness, and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and comfort working with people of widely varying understanding of GIS and mapping.
- Strong reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good writing and presentation skills.
- Personal commitment to conservation.
- The position offers a salary of $59,000 to $64,000 and excellent benefits. It is a full-time position.
The Pennsylvania Land Trust Association helps people conserve the lands needed for healthy, prosperous, and secure communities—the forests, farms, parks, urban gardens and other green places that safeguard our drinking water, prevent flooding, protect wildlife, provide recreational and economic opportunities, and preserve scenic beauty and community treasures. Information about PALTA is available at ConserveLand.org. EOE
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.