With a workforce of over 25,000 people, and opportunities in more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia is the sixth-largest city in the United States and one of the largest employers in Southeastern Pennsylvania. As an employer, the City of Philadelphia operates through the guiding principles of service, integrity, respect, accountability, collaboration, diversity and inclusion. Through these principles, we strive to effectively deliver services, to resolve the challenges facing our city, and to make Philadelphia a place where all of our residents have the opportunity to reach their potential.
The City’s Department of Public Property (DPP) manages the buildings and structures where City employees work and where City equipment is kept. Our department buys, sells, leases, designs, constructs, renovates, and maintains City properties. DPP makes sure that facilities operated by the City are in safe condition, are accessible, and that they function well.
The GIS Analyst will work with DPP staff to design and maintain the Master Facilities Database and establish report and graphical templates that will provide information to multiple audiences (e.g., staff project coordinators, senior DPP leadership, City Council members, etc.). The database is the partial basis for project management, asset intelligence and building information modeling systems. Some project supervision and employee oversight are included among the responsibilities of this position.
The GIS Analyst is also responsible for the creation, analysis, and maintenance of spatial data layers and/or applications using the ArcGIS suite of desktop products and ArcGIS On-line mapping platform. The Lead GIS Analyst is responsible for publishing web maps, modeling workflows and building automated routines. The candidate should have experience in creating managing relational databases and creating visualizations to communicate findings and project statuses for DPP colleagues, elected officials, and the public.
The GIS Analyst will support the GIO’s efforts to enforce data standards for the creation, management, and sharing of spatial and non-spatial data for business intelligence, project/program performance tracking, and public data releases. The position will represent DPP in governance programs for OIT supported technology and GIS operations and at monthly meetings or other events coordinated by the GIO. The GIS Analyst will promote and advance the use of spatial technologies within DPP that are available to all city staff from OIT.
• Develop and maintain geospatial datasets.
• Create and maintain process automation related to data maintenance.
• Data management and process documentation
• Coordination of some short- and long-term enterprise GIS projects.
• Provide geospatial support to other city agencies including data development, analysis, online and hardcopy maps, ETL processes, and setup of field data collection apps.
• Create and maintain of web map applications published through the city
• Query, analyze and prepare statistics on spatial and non-spatial data within databases including Microsoft Access, SQL or other databases that house projects used at DPP.
• Prepare and execute workflows and automated routines using Python, Model Builder or similar application.
• Prepare and execute queries in spatial and non-spatial databases using SQL.
• Interact with outside contractors assigned to a specific project.
• Participate in meetings and events within department, city and wider GIS user community.
• Occasionally conduct presentations on enterprise specific topics at meetings and conferences.
• Prepare and maintain project status reports.
• Map composition and printing on large-format printers using custom and automated methods
• Administration of large or wide format printers, also known as plotters
• Prepare and deliver presentations and/or training sessions related to mapping software, tools or procedures to City staff on as needed basis.
• Provide oversight of intern and Co-op employees.
• Represent DPP in governance programs for OIT supported technology and GIS operations and at monthly meetings or other events coordinated by the GIO.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Proficiency in database management: create, edit, update, join, append and query data from spatial and non-spatial relational databases including MS SQL Server.
• Experience with data visualization and graphics tools for the creation of professional presentations reports, web content, or education materials.
• Proficiency in authoring scripts for automation of routines and geoprocesses.
• Advanced-level proficiency using ESRI ArcGIS products (Desktop and/or Pro).
• Experience with ArcGIS Online to assist with implementing dashboards, open data tools and Collector for ArcGIS
• Spatial data creation, editing and maintenance proficiency.
• Cartographic design experience for web and hardcopy maps.
• Advanced-level proficiency using Microsoft Office Professional Suite (Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
• Demonstrable, high-quality written and oral communication skills.
• Proficiency in project planning and time management (setting and meeting goals, using calendars, etc).
• Ability to create and maintain good working relationships and collaborations while being able to work independently and take initiative.
• Genuinely excited and enthusiastic about learning and pushing technical limits when finding new solutions.
• Proficiency in statistical methods and analysis including correlation and regression.
• Intermediate to advanced-level proficiency with GIS model building.
• Intermediate to advanced-level proficiency with ArcGIS extensions Model Builder, Spatial Analyst, Geostatistical Analyst, and Network Analyst.
• Experience with non-Esri software to generate on-line and hardcopy map and data products.
• Versioned and distributed editing, replication and in ArcGIS SDE environment.
• Previous experience building ETL processes.
• Experience providing training, presentations or seminars.
Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university which has included major course work in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geography, Urban Planning, Public Health, Natural Resources (analytical focus), Statistics, Information Science, or Civil Engineering. Master’s degree is preferred. Two to four years of relevant professional experience required.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.