We all need energy. It warms our homes, cooks our food, gives us light, and gets us where we need to go. It also improves our quality of life in countless other ways. At TC Energy, our job is to deliver that energy to millions of people who depend on it across North America. And we take our job very seriously.
Guided by our values of safety, integrity, responsibility and collaboration, we develop and operate our facilities safely, reliably and with care for our impact on the environment. With our presence across the continent, our people play an active role in building strong communities.
We’re proud of how our hard work and commitment sets us apart and benefits society, every day. We’re looking for new team members who share our values and are ready to take on exciting challenges.
Our Integrity and Operations Services team is evolving to meet the needs of our growing business and we are expanding our presence in Charleston, WV. We are seeking a skilled GIS Analyst who has knowledge and experience to perform a variety of professional duties primarily focused on departmental geographic information systems (GIS) databases, data entry and maintenance and other GIS capabilities; generate custom and standard maps, spatial analyses and other GIS products to meet customer requirements, utilize GIS tools and utilities to convert data to GIS formats and perform data quality checking and correction. The successful candidate will demonstrate advanced analytical skills both in how technology is applied and the information it provides and will be able to use analytical skills to make sound business decisions as well as providing the right information to others for the same. Applicants should be familiar with business processes, engineering concepts, change management concepts, quality and performance management concepts. Excellent communication skills, and the ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently and effectively are required.
What you’ll do
- Participate in developing and implementing queries, scripts and instructions of moderate difficulty
- Assist in the design, development, testing and implementation of GIS applications of routine to moderate difficulty to meet customer needs and enterprise requirements
- Extract and organize data and perform quality control operations to ensure the accuracy and completeness of all data; research source documents and/or coordinate with others to resolve missing or conflicting data and other anomalies
- Act as a Project Manager for internal GIS projects, working directly with internal customers and vendors, along with supporting and training GIS Technicians on project responsibilities
- Format and generate a variety of GIS products including standard and custom maps and map series, standard map templates, shape files, graphics, tables and reports and perform data searches and retrievals
- Process acquired LiDAR data to produce usable data, such as hill shade, slope maps or contours, for analytical use by various departments and provide guidance on LiDAR acquisition
- Overlay maps over aerial imagery to produce custom products and verify and correct geospatial data
- Perform standard spatial analyses such as buffering, spatial overlays and distance calculations using established methods and procedures
- Maintain and update geospatial databases; extract, clean, adjust and convert data and information from non-GIS systems into GIS formats, convert addresses into GIS formats using geocoding routines
- Research and correct problems with data using spatial and logical analyses, research and verify legal descriptions and boundaries, use scripts, queries and other tools to obtain and/or correct missing or incorrect spatial and attribute data
- Convert spatial data from one coordinate system to another, using basic geodetic principles; geo-reference digital maps to align with real ground locations, using survey monument, GPS and other data as controls; process, load, review and update data in GIS database layers; import database updates
- Help foster effective communication with Manager, among the team and with customers
- Suggest process improvements to further enhance safety, efficiency, and customer satisfaction and demonstrate strong teamwork
- Associate's degree or completion of a technical school program
- Six or more years of related experience performing technical duties in support of geographic information systems using standard GIS tools to populate and manipulate GIS databases and generate GIS products
- Professional knowledge of the theory and principles of ESRI GIS software and database manipulation and product/output development
- Advanced ESRI skills to develop GIS websites, mobile tools, and database infrastructure; demonstrates self-motivation to maintain pace with technological advances and developments of ESRI software
- 2-5 years of ESRI GIS work experience
- Knowledge of aerial and LiDAR data acquisition and processing
- Familiar with business processes, engineering concepts, change management concepts, quality and performance management concepts
- Proficiency in the utilization of Microsoft Office suite, relational databases (Access, Oracle, SQL), Internet technologies, Directory Utilities, Windows, and email.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in geographic information systems, Geography, IT, or a closely related field
- GISP certification
- Knowledge of FME or similar scripting language to automate processes and increase workflow
- 3+ years of functional or process knowledge in the utility / energy industry
This position requires candidates to travel to other company locations for temporary assignments, meetings or training which would involve some overnight stays away from home.
About our business
TC Energy is a leading energy infrastructure company in North America. We have three complementary businesses of natural gas pipelines, liquids (oil) pipelines, and power generation. Our operations span three countries, seven Canadian provinces, and 34 U.S. states.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.