WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist.
OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-inspired values – Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment as a high performance organization.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Under the supervision of the GIS Supervisor, the GIS Analyst conducts geographical research and analysis; designs, develops, and implements interfaces with GIS and other systems; consults with users to determine GIS needs; creates and maintains GIS data, maps, web maps, web services, scripts and programs. The GIS Analyst should have strong skills in cartographic design, analytical geography, database design and management, programming, project management, and communication (including strong writing skills). Supervisory responsibilities and project management are also common responsibilities with the Analyst supervising technicians and interns.
GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these expectations for all employees.
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do the same.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Creates, develops, and maintains citywide GIS data, maps, web maps, web services, scripts and programs using GIS tools, and relational databases; should have strong skills in cartographic design, analytical geography, database design and management, programming, project management, and communication (including strong writing skills).
- Conducts geospatial research and analysis using various GIS analytical tools (i.e., spatial analyst, 3D analyst, business Analyst); analyzes results to support department decision-making.
- Ensure data quality and metadata standards are met.
- Analyzes, troubleshoots and resolves GIS application problems; communicates with internal and external technical resources to resolve end user issues; provides guidance to users on methods for correcting reported problems.
- Assists GIS Supervisor and GIS System Administrator with streamlining processes and improve efficacy of the GIS program; assist with operational and service-level efficiencies.
- Provides advanced technical support and leadership in the use of ArcGIS products and GIS related programs to accomplish and support intra-departmental and inter-departmental projects and programs; Guides and mentors other GIS staff
- Serves as department contact for service, regardless of assigned application system(s) issues.
- Documents and logs all work-related activity in departmental service support ticketing system and facilitate best practices for customer service support.
- Works toward maintaining awareness of new technologies and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; attends workshops and training sessions as appropriate.
- Documents procedures, processes and creates tutorials and training materials
- Responds to requests for data and GIS support from user departments.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in city and department attendance policies and procedures.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Ability to embrace and embody the City's core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, subordinates, and people to whom service is provided.
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality, quantity, and timeliness.
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources, and if applicable, that of subordinates.
- Advanced technical proficiency in the following: ArcGIS Desktop and various extensions like 3D
- Analyst, Network Analyst and Spatial Analyst.
- Proficiency integrating, analyzing, and evaluating data for GIS-based decision support
- Demonstrated ability creating and customizing web maps and web applications in an enterprise GIS.
- Knowledge of computer hardware, software and peripherals.
- The ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
- Ability to focus on achieving goals, including those involving external departments, agencies, and the public.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to multi-task in a high activity/energy professional environment that includes multiple and concurrent projects and project deadlines, and occasional interruptions and walk-in appointments.
- Ability to resolve problems in a timely, efficient, and effective manner.
- Ability to plan, coordinates, and organize work; set priorities and meet critical deadlines
- Comply with all city policies and procedures.
- Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited educational institution in Geography, Computer Information Systems, Database Administration, or related field. At least 2-3 years with GIS software and technologies, proficient in the use of ESRI ArcGIS and related extensions, HTML, Python, SQL and Microsoft Office Products.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications may be an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must pass a drug screen and background check.
- Must have Class C Texas Driver's License
Tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (25 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station. Some tasks require visual and sound perception and discrimination and oral communications ability.
There is limited exposure to environmental conditions.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.