Under general direction of a designated supervisor the incumbent performs advanced technical and professional level work in planning, analyzing, and designing methods and procedures for the development of new or modifications of existing Geographic Information System (GIS) data, products and applications. This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- GIS application data entry and contract development data deliverables.
- Builds, edits and manages GIS data layers.
- Customize GIS software to meet user needs.
- Imports, exports, or translates data between graphic file formats (geo-referencing)
- Performs data research and QC functions.
- Creates custom map products for internal and external use; creates and analyzes spatial data for internal custom projects when required or requested.
- Designs and creates reports of data obtained through spatial analysis.
- Provides training and support to department personnel on the use of GIS applications.
- May require to drive a motor vehicle to accomplish tasks.
- This position requires regular and reliable attendance and the employee's physical presence at the workplace
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- When Assigned to Public Works/Engineering:
- Acquires and utilize technical engineering data for layout and production of design projects using engineering software to efficiently and accurately produce construction drawing for water, sewer, roadway and drainage infrastructure as well as provide staff support in development, maintenance, updating and retrieving information from the City's ArcSDE and other GIS data sources. Interpret and research legal documents and apply this information to the maintenance of varied GIS based data; digitizing cartographic data; entering utility data into the data base; preparing maps according to specified criteria; drafting of utility plans and assisting the public with requests and other information assignments.
- Prepare and interpret source documents and spatial data for digital conversion to GIS.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software.
- Knowledge and skill in automating and maintaining geographic datasets using ESRI GIS software and skill in operating related peripherals such as GPS hardware and large format plotters.
- Knowledge of, and ability to create, complex queries using the SQL & Python query language.
- Knowledge of community development, planning and zoning (land development) processes, when assigned to CDA.
- Skill in data extraction
- Skill in written, verbal, electronic, and visual communications for effective expression and clarity
- Skill in critical thinking, analysis and problem-solving, specifically related to data quality and GIS processes
- Skill in organization, prioritization, and time management
- Ability to research and resolve land records, related problems, and questions when assigned to CDA.
- Ability to speak and document clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to operate necessary equipment, including computer, six line telephone, copy machine, facsimile machine
- Ability to use GIS system to digitize, store, maintain and retrieve both cartographic and database data, knowledge of mapping, surveying and construction terminology.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university with major course work in GIS, Geography, Government Administration, Computer Science, Planning, Engineering or related field. Progressive experience as a GIS Analyst may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.
- Three (3) years' experience of progressively responsible experience in the field of field of GIS.
- Must possess a valid Florida Driver's License with an acceptable driving record.
- Field survey and evaluate conditions utilizing equipment and instruments relative to the engineering field.
- Convey application needs from staff to Property Appraiser GIS Staff/Programmer.
- Participate in special projects as required, including Database enhancements, mapping requests, and further development of Internet applications.
- Research and obtain GIS data layers for City departments as needed.
- Operate and maintain GIS workstations, digitizers and plotters.
- GISP certification preferred
- Certified training on GIS software such as ArcMap, ArcGIS Online, and ArcServer preferred.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.