Senior Software Engineers work closely with South Dakota state agency staff to create and maintain business applications. Jobs in this family perform software engineering work that is focused on partnering with clients to understand their business processes, then to identify, define, and build applications that will assist the agency in providing services to the citizens of the state. Incumbents work on applications that are of average complexity to complex enterprise wide applications depending on their skills. Software engineering level assignment (SE3 or SE4) will be determined by the education and experience of the incumbent.
The ArcGIS platform is a series of capabilities that bring together maps, apps, data, and people to make smarter decisions and enable innovation. The States GIS Section plays a crucial role in the implementation of the ArcGIS platform. Our mission is simple yet powerful: 1) enable user success, 2) broaden the impact of GIS, and 3) push the ArcGIS technology platform to make use of GIS technology better. The GIS Analyst coordinates, plans, and provides leadership in the creation, acquisition, preparation, maintenance, documentation, and administration of GIS data for Statewide GIS Projects.
- working with the State GIS Coordinator to assist in managing/acquiring the state's spatial data;
- understand how to install, configure, and implement enterprise GIS workflows at customer locations using Esri COTS (ArcGIS Online, Collector, Survey 123, Maps for Office, Etc.) technology then provide documentation/instructions for BIT Staff;
- review existing Esri COTS technology implementations and provide recommendations, considerations, and improvements;
- complete technical assessments and recommendations in reports, presentations, and white papers;
- training state agency staff and primarily BIT development staff on implementation and use of GIS tools;
- perform installation and configuration of Esri core technology (ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Desktop).
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
A degree in Software Engineering or a related field and 6 or more years of software engineering experience is preferred.
- Esri ArcGIS Platform (ArcGIS Desktop, Server, SDE, ArcGIS Online, Collector, Survey 123, Maps for Office);
- project management;
- GIS infrastructure and data management;
- principles, theories, and concepts of computer science and software development;
- business process analysis;
- Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), and experience performing Functional Requirements Definition;
- reporting systems such as SQL Server Reporting Services.
- manage teams of 3 to 5 developers;
- coordinate, plan, and provide leadership in the creation, acquisition, preparation, maintenance, documentation, and administration of GIS data for Statewide GIS projects;
- work with and make architectural recommendations to other groups within the State's IT organization responsible for data storage, backup, and recovery;
- advise citizens, industries, governmental agencies, and the State GIS Coordinator regarding availability and use of GIS data;
- coordinate, plan, and provide leadership in the maintenance and use of spatial data and database;
- work with and make architectural recommendations to the State's DBA staff in regard to the
- integration of SDE and MS SQL Server;
- prepare and deliver speeches and technical presentations before the general public,
- governmental agencies, and professional organizations around the topic of GIS;
- research, evaluate, and recommend new technology solutions;
- mentor new staff;
- build and maintain effective working relationships;
- reason logically;
- communicate information concisely and accurately;
- pay attention to detail;
- work in a team environment;
- adapt to changing needs;
- take initiative.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
When you apply, please indicate that you are responding to the posting on My GIS Jobs.